OP
Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well all the rock is in 20 gallon breeder with a protein skimmer for now, so far ammonia isnt that high . Im going to watch it for a couple of weeks until im confident I'd put it in my actual tank. Other then that i removed 4 bristle worms from the rock. One did manage to escape into the pores of the rock but more or less I know there might be more.

OP
OP
Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Some more pics from last night)

Found 2 of these that didn't make it as well.

IMG_20161220_193253.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you might want to consider bristle worm traps and fish traps etc while its in the bin. you should hear the shrimps soon.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is halimeda macro algae.

From live aquaria

"The Halimeda plant is a green calcareous macroalgae found within tropical oceans worldwide, and is a beautiful decorative plant for a marine aquarium. The irregular oval segments of Halimeda appear as several small green coins glued from end-to-end, forming a chain. For this reason, Halimeda may also be called the Money Plant. Calcareous algae deposit calcium carbonate in their tissues, and require a sufficient calcium level in the aquarium in order to thrive.

Halimeda are generally hardy in a marine aquarium, and few fish will feed on it. It is not an invasive plant that will cause harm to close neighboring corals or invertebrates. In addition to light, it requires a sufficient level of calcium to grow. They are not as tolerant of high nitrate or phosphate levels compared to some other algae. They also do not tolerate extensive pruning."

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue thing appears to be a rose coral. Very good find, I'd love to get one of those someday, but they mostly come in as hitchhikers as far as I can tell.

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an order of live rock rolling in this week from gulfliverock.com as well, I hope I don't receive no darn bobbit worms.

OP
OP
Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue thing appears to be a rose coral. Very good find, I'd love to get one of those someday, but they mostly come in as hitchhikers as far as I can tell.
Ive been looking around to see what it is! I'll look into your suggestion, thanks

OP
OP
Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an order of live rock rolling in this week from gulfliverock.com as well, I hope I don't receive no darn bobbit worms.
I only found 2 of what people described to be bobbit worms and they weren't on the rock itself, they were towards the bottom of the bag were things fall off and collect, but haven't seen anymore. The rock is heavily encrusted with stuff, way better than just buying rock from my lfs for around the same price.

Nano Reef Q

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does gulf ship their rocks in bags of water at all - enough to cover rock? I know its weighted extra to do so- but yeah man you lost alot of inverts.
Have fun exploring-even 3 months later I started finding things crawling out in middle of night I didn't know I had. Now once in awhile on my midnite bathroom runs I purposely turn on a flashlight to see what else I can spot!
I had one hue-oooooooge bristle worm-stores should make life size versions of these for your Yard at Halloween-they are creepy

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back