New mantis shrimp!!!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! After watching lots of videos and research decided to get a mantis shrimp. Just ordered him from Tampa Bay rocks! Got the treasure chest. Its a WYSIWYG so this is my new friend!! Cant wait for him/her to come. I really liked the red on this one! Im turning my 32 biocube into its lair since its already cycled and just sits empty. Just a few questions, this box comes with 3 pounds of sand and 3 pounds of rocks. Ive got some flat rocks and extra sand in the tank already, just wondering what kind of rock to add for it on top of what I have? Plan is just to let it make its own home out of the rocks, just want to make sure Ive got the right amount and size rocks for it to do so!

IMG_4038.png

TripFamAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful Red!
Personally I would create a cave type structure with the larger rocks and then make sure you have lots of rock pebbles and small broken pieces of coral and frag rock for him to move around and make his own. You could always throw a small piece of pvc in there and cover it with the extra sand.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful Red!
Personally I would create a cave type structure with the larger rocks and then make sure you have lots of rock pebbles and small broken pieces of coral and frag rock for him to move around and make his own. You could always throw a small piece of pvc in there and cover it with the extra sand.
Hum I do like the PVC idea! Kinda make a rock structure around it.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a peacock and he loves his pvc and uses one as his regular burrow but actually utilizes both.
IMG_8130.jpeg
Oh cool! Did he put all the rock around it like that or did you do that for him?

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also does anyone keep fish with theirs? Ive seen some YT videos with a guy who keeps damsels in with his for movement

TripFamAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The largest rocks I put over the pvc but all tiny rocks pebbles and frag he all arranged himself (circled in red).
Here is the the other end of it he did..
IMG_8134.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8135.jpeg
    IMG_8135.jpeg
    290.1 KB · Views: 61

TripFamAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also does anyone keep fish with theirs? Ive seen some YT videos with a guy who keeps damsels in with his for movement
Yes you totally can. It all depends on the Mantis personality.
A person I know has one mantis that will kill anything you put in with it and another that lives with some clowns and stars.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The largest rocks I put over the pvc but all tiny rocks pebbles and frag he all arranged himself (circled in red).
Here is the the other end of it he did..
IMG_8134.jpeg
Oh okay cool! I was thinking of maybe getting a PVC and gluing some dry rock around it to look like a cave and them giving it rubble rock to move and smash as it pleases if thats a good idea?

TripFamAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay cool! I was thinking of maybe getting a PVC and gluing some dry rock around it to look like a cave and them giving it rubble rock to move and smash as it pleases if thats a good idea?
I’ve heard of people doing that for sure. My only other suggestion is putting the landscape more towards the back of the tank.
Good luck’

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard of people doing that for sure. My only other suggestion is putting the landscape more towards the back of the tank.
Good luck’
Ah that makes sense. For sure will! Excited for it to come! And figure out what gender it is lol

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you totally can. It all depends on the Mantis personality.
A person I know has one mantis that will kill anything you put in with it and another that lives with some clowns and stars.
Hum. Ive always wanted a small school of domino damsels, maybe Ill do those since they are cheap, fast and mean lol

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N. wennerae (what you're ordering) will bore a cavity into the rock, and close the entrance at night time/during molts with small chips of debris.

They may dig a burrow under rock, but if there's a suitable large piece with a lot of craters it'll likely mine out one of the craters into a cavity.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N. wennerae (what you're ordering) will bore a cavity into the rock, and close the entrance at night time/during molts with small chips of debris.

They may dig a burrow under rock, but if there's a suitable large piece with a lot of craters it'll likely mine out one of the craters into a cavity.
Ah cool! Would you still put a PVC pipe in a tank for one then? And I did end up with this species on your recommendation in the last post due to tank size and not wanting to go larger than this for a peacock!

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of the tiger gobies from tbs with mine after googling the same question lol

Attachments

• IMG_1184.jpeg
    IMG_1184.jpeg
    250.2 KB · Views: 60

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah cool! Would you still put a PVC pipe in a tank for one then? And I did end up with this species on your recommendation in the last post due to tank size and not wanting to go larger than this for a peacock!

I wouldn't bother with PVC for one, unless O. scyllarus and similar that construct U-shaped burrows hard to naturally replicate, a lot of the smaller species will bore holes into the rock work on their own or make a really small tunnel beneath them that wouldn't necessitate PVC.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't bother with PVC for one, unless O. scyllarus and similar that construct U-shaped burrows hard to naturally replicate, a lot of the smaller species will bore holes into the rock work on their own or make a really small tunnel beneath them that wouldn't necessitate PVC.
Ah okay so for this species a PVC would kind of go against what they would naturally build? Just making sure I understood what you mean!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 69 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 63 27.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back