New mantis shrimp

ethans_aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mantis shrimp only tank. Anyone able to ID?

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G. smithii.

1686441587951.png

Really nice find

Reefapprentice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great species to make a species only tank. Very curious of new objects out into the tank but a blast once they realize you are the source of a variety of live and frozen foods.

OP
OP
ethans_aquatics

ethans_aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't been able to get a good photo of him yet... I'm a little concerned about his behavior right now though. He made a little den for himself in the sand underneath a rocky cave and I sometimes see him on his back or side in there. He does get active though like when he is removing the sand from his cave or when I feed him krill he comes out and punches the forceps and gets all excited. Should I be worried about him being in these weird positions? He seems to like to flip himself about the y-axis

TripFamAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't been able to get a good photo of him yet... I'm a little concerned about his behavior right now though. He made a little den for himself in the sand underneath a rocky cave and I sometimes see him on his back or side in there. He does get active though like when he is removing the sand from his cave or when I feed him krill he comes out and punches the forceps and gets all excited. Should I be worried about him being in these weird positions? He seems to like to flip himself about the y-axis
Sounds like possible molting behavior. Generally when the time comes they will slow down or stop eating and close themselves off in their den to finish the molt. Just keep an eye on him and keep up on your water changes.

OP
OP
ethans_aquatics

ethans_aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's not doing it today, he's right side up and I put my finger near the glass and he came out of his den and punched the acrylic

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's normal for them, they spin around in their burrows, especially while they line the cavity with mucus for attaching sediment to.

Nice thing with Gonodactylus is they'll mine their own cavities, dig their own burrows, build their walls, etc, so it'll make itself comfortable. When they 'Turn around" in those tight cavities they 'roll' their bodies to face the other way, if they want to be upright they'll twist afterwards or during the roll.

OP
OP
ethans_aquatics

ethans_aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's normal for them, they spin around in their burrows, especially while they line the cavity with mucus for attaching sediment to.

Nice thing with Gonodactylus is they'll mine their own cavities, dig their own burrows, build their walls, etc, so it'll make itself comfortable. When they 'Turn around" in those tight cavities they 'roll' their bodies to face the other way, if they want to be upright they'll twist afterwards or during the roll.
Thanks now I can sleep tonight, lol! You described his behavior perfectly.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 103 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 79 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back