New member and new to the hobby

mwbeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all

I am new to the hobby. Been wanting a reef tank for 10+ years and got one yesterday. I got a 20 gallon tank with 2 clowns, 2 gobis and a damsel. It has a decent amount of live rock, and a handful of corals, mostly small frags. Looking forward to learning about the hobby and enjoying the tank.

image.jpg

jasonp87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard! Did you buy the tank already set-up from someone else? What kind of equipment do you have and what are your future plans? Be sure to ask any and all questions since there is a pretty big learning curve. We've all been there at some point.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. :wave:

Decided to go the insta tank route, are you testing for ammonia and nitrites? Just a word of caution, the use of live rock does not mean a tank can forgo the cycle. You'll want to have freshly made SW on hand for water changes. Five fish is probably too much for a 20 gallon to handle right off the bat.
Test daily until you're sure your tank can handle the bio-load and do not over feed.

OP
OP
mwbeach

mwbeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard! Did you buy the tank already set-up from someone else? What kind of equipment do you have and what are your future plans? Be sure to ask any and all questions since there is a pretty big learning curve. We've all been there at some point.

I did buy the tank already going. It has been up and running for over a year with this setup. It has two filers, circulation pump, protein skimmer 65 gallon.

My plans are to get many more corals in there. Kinda bare right now, but that will come with time.

Thanks!!

OP
OP
mwbeach

mwbeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. :wave:

Decided to go the insta tank route, are you testing for ammonia and nitrites? Just a word of caution, the use of live rock does not mean a tank can forgo the cycle. You'll want to have freshly made SW on hand for water changes. Five fish is probably too much for a 20 gallon to handle right off the bat.
Test daily until you're sure your tank can handle the bio-load and do not over feed.

I got such a good deal on it, I couldn't pass it up. I am testing and have plenty of SW ready. I am keeping a close eye on everything. The five fish have been running in it for over a year now without any trouble, we will see how it goes.

Thank you!

mfief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. I went a similar route after wanting a reef tank for 8 years. Lots to learn and I learn more every day. Welcome to a great hobby.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should help.

Attachments

• 154698d1402358863-new-member-new-hobby-image.jpg
    154698d1402358863-new-member-new-hobby-image.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 96

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF! We're very glad you joined and hope that you will enjoy the forums, enter contest, start a tank thread, and just be a part of our family friendly community!

Start a new tank thread here: Member Tanks

Enter a FREE contest here: R2R Giveaway and Contest Forum

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

19-1.gif

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back