New member new to reef tanks

roinesaad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Some advice please my ammonia levels are a bit high at 0.5ppm but nitrites and nitrates and pH are all in safe ranges. I tested using API kit and read on a forum that you can get elevated (false) levels with this kit I have 3 fish in the tank( 3 days in) and no corals yet and would like to add shrimp and Goby- I’ve had different comments from the fish supply shop as to when it is best to add the new fish
Would appreciate any advice.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Brazilian Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Some advice please my ammonia levels are a bit high at 0.5ppm but nitrites and nitrates and pH are all in safe ranges. I tested using API kit and read on a forum that you can get elevated (false) levels with this kit I have 3 fish in the tank( 3 days in) and no corals yet and would like to add shrimp and Goby- I’ve had different comments from the fish supply shop as to when it is best to add the new fish
Welcome to R2R and Happy Reefing!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the reef.

If you have 3 fish in for 3 days, your cycled.
Or they would have died, or at least, be very very distressed.
Another addition will just push the cycle forward.
Shrimp not an issue.

Do the fish look good, not distressed, active, eating….go ahead….forget the tests…..when ammonia too high, fish will dart to the top and gasp.

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world. Take things slowly. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.
Where in UK are you?
You can get the UK banner here: Click Account then “Join User Group”, scroll to the bottom and click on “United Kingdom User Group‘’
H8VECcFiTCylIqSp-MdpRw.jpeg

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard. This is a good place.

Making new additions if your first 3 fish have only been in for 3 days seems a bit fast to me, but that depends on how big the fish are and how big the tank is. Even if it is a large tank, I think I would wait a couple of weeks to add any more livestock just to give the biome a chance to grow and restabilize.

You can indeed add bacteria to speed things along temporarily, but I'm more of a slow and steady kind of person.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi
Three fish in for 3 days does Not necessarily confirm cycled as it takes one spike to change the whole picture.
How did you cycle tank and determine safe to add fish?
Typically, you want to add some ammonia chloride to raise ammonia and to confirm your tank can handle a bio-load with addition of fish, when ammonia rises then falls and holds a steady reading of Zero for at least 5 days and also nitrate rises and falls and holds at 20 or below- you are cycled
Being that you are using API kits , I would suggest taking a water sample to a trusted LFS and see what numbers they come up with and to compare with yours then you will know where your readings are at.

SaltyЯeeferNC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Personally, I would wait another week or so before adding anything else to the tank. Others may have different opinion, but I added my clown's to the tank and it was at least a month before my pistol shrimp/Goby pair went in. Oh, by the way, sit back and enjoy the show; my pair gets quite comical. As far as the ammonia, bottled bac like Dr. Tim's will work. Just keep testing. I also use the API test kits, but I just want i general idea of what is happening inside the tank, not a number. Just keep testing to make sure it doesn't start to creep.

Also welcome!

r2r.gif

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 34 14.9%
  • No

Votes: 169 74.1%
  • Unsure

Votes: 25 11.0%
Back