corinateut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
I’m Corina. I liin London and decided to get into this hobby!
I got an red sea max nano peninsula 100L

for the moment I have test kits only for Ammonia, NO2 and NO3 what else do I need to check in order to start adding corals and fishes in?

have a nice day!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. I agree with the already mentioned tests kits and would add magnesium to it.
Episode 4 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Upvote 0

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a good refractometer or other device to accurately measure salinity.
Use quality test kits to track ammonia until the tank is cycled and to track nitrate and phosphate going forward. You will also want to track calcium and alkalinity once you start growing corals.

Read up on tank cycling if you haven't already before you add any fish. You can search this website for posts and articles describing the process.

Also read about Quarantine protocol which is highly recommended to prevent fish acquisitions from introducing undesirable parasites into your system. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Move slowly at first to avoid issues that will bite you in the future.

Good luck

TANG-WELCOME.gif

Upvote 0

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the club and would love to see pictures of the tank as you progress... the kits you have, including refractometer are all you NEED till you start to add corals... (3-6 months perhaps?) - then little by little the other kits are needed
hope you are able to consider a smaller QT tank, in which case you will need copper and a test kit for it (suggest the hanna

best of luck and slow and steady wins here...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Upvote 0

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! The above advice is all good. Your three tests are good for cycling the tank but you also need to be checking temperature and salinity (specific gravity). Those two are the most fundamental tests for a saltwater tank. It is a good idea to be checking pH as well. Your Ammonia and Nitrite tests are important during cycling, any large changes (like adding several new fish at once) or if you suspect a water quality problem but normally you will not use them often once your tank is established. Your Nitrate test is one of the more important ongoing tests. Once you tank is cycled with the Ammonia and Nitrite levels at, or at least very near, zero, you can add fish. You should start testing Phosphate around this time as keeping your Nitrate and Phosphate levels low but above zero will help control nuisance algae and promote growth. There are many opinions on what good levels are. Once you have corals that you are trying to grow you should start testing Calcium and Alkalinity. Many, including myself, suggest also testing Magnesium.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

Upvote 0

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Corina, glad you are here! Bulk Reef Supply has excellent step by step videos on YouTube called 52 weeks of reefing. You should check them out. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world Corina. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

You can get the UK banner here: Click Account then “Join User Group”, scroll to the bottom and click on “United Kingdom User Group‘’

Upvote 0

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 54 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back