new reef tank

sorin_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello,
as it was expected i want to upgrade to a bigger tang. i wish to make one 270 cm long by 50 by 60 (high). i made in time some aquariums but not so big and i have some questions to clear some things. i read in other posts that other put some same questions but different opinion. So:

1. the edge of glass must be polished or no? some say yes some that polishing the edge leave some microcaverns in glass that trap air when applying silicone so low resistance. other say that the glass must be polish. thoughts?

2. i read that you must apply spacer for injecting silicone. i see a lot of methods : toothpick, zip-ties, silicone left for cure 2-3 day. but how do you inject silicone if spacers are on place until it cures (toothpick, zip-ties). when you extract them later what is happening with that holes in silicone? the same with silicone left for cure and used as spacer. the new silicone wouldn't adhere to old one.
There are people that make a real theory about a air bubble trapped in silicone but it is ok to let holes in all margins after extracting spacers?
Also in leaking aquarium you have to dismantle it completely and resilicone-it because new silicone and old not bonding together. but is ok to let silicone spots as spacers in? here why is different?
on lateral panels it is ok with Bar Clamps but on the bottom?
thank you

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass needs to be squeaky clean. I don’t know about polished. But definitely cleaned with acetone or alcohol.

Use SCS 12000 or Momentive RTV 100 series. Both have the strength to get it done safely.

As far as spacers, some leave them in and some don’t. Cure time and temp is important and the tank can’t be touched or moved.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back