New reefer on the go

Alexoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, my name's Alex, french-born nerd living in Canada for 10 years, i've been a tank lover for almost 6 years now, started with tropicals (gouramis, plecos, etc...), then with planted tanks, then various cichlids tanks, breeding tanks, with a lot of success so far.

Went up to 8 tanks (120g, 2 x 90g, 45g, 3 x 20g and 16g), and now lowering that to 2 (90g tropical/planted, 90g haps cichlids) to give room and time to start my first reef tank.

Ordered a brand new Waterbox Marine X 60.2 (37g with 18.5g sump, should be delivered in 4 weeks or so) as it is important for me to learn reefing the good way with a sump instead of an AIO to prepare to the bigger project (5 feet reef tank in a year or two)
The gear i've ordered might be overkill for a 40g tank but i love the "long term" approch, so it goes like this :
- Bubble Magus Curve 5 Elite
- Jebao DCA6000 DC
- 1 x AI PRIME 16HD REEF (should i go with 2?)
- Eheim Jager 250w with Inkbird ITC-308 controller
- 2 x Nero 3 powerheads
- IO Reef Crystals salt
- 2x 20lbs Caribsea Arag-alive Special Grade Reef Sable
- base rocks
- aquacultured artificial rocks from J&L Aquatics to seed the base rock

That'll be the starting point, i'll upgrade with ATO or dosers if needed later.

I'm going for a fishless cycle (of course) and will add fish once it's safe (a sturdy clown pair and a tang probably for algae control, then cleaning crew), i'll then probably wait a few more weeks for the tank to stabilise before going with coral frags (i plan on buying from Fragbox.ca, reviews are really good about them)
I might add chaeto in the sump to help with the nitrates building along the way.

So that's pretty much it, i'll surely encounter many situations, so expect questions from me if i don't find a valid answer by myself.
Can't wait to learn with you and get started !

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Sounds like you've got a jump on it. Very nice gear selection.

When it's time for fish, do some research on the Tang you want. If you plan to move up to a 5' long tank in a year it shouldn't be a problem to have a young Tang in the 40, but they do need ample swim room.

OP
OP
Alexoss

Alexoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Sounds like you've got a jump on it. Very nice gear selection.

When it's time for fish, do some research on the Tang you want. If you plan to move up to a 5' long tank in a year it shouldn't be a problem to have a young Tang in the 40, but they do need ample swim room.
That's exactly what i'm planning to do, pick a tang i can keep for one year or two in my 40 then moving the guy to the bigger one, if the "bigger one tank" project does not happen soon enough, i'll relocate the tang in somebody else bigger tank.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 132 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back