[New Service Idea] Pre-Burned In T5 Bulbs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey BRS team, was wondering if you guys would offer an option when purchasing T5 bulbs where you guys run the bulbs at full power for the manufacturer's recommended "burn in" period (e.g. 50-100 hours) prior to shipping them out.

This way, reefers like me with dimmable T5 fixtures can just install pre-burned in bulbs into the fixture without having to mess with the dimming features and burn them in separately. I also do not have a separate rig to burn bulbs in.

In the spirit of keeping it simple and 'low maintenance', it'd be great for you guys to have this as an option for an additional charge (assuming it's reasonable).

Thoughts on providing this new service? :)
It'd also be cool if you guys offer something that came from a suggested on R2R as well haha.

Last edited:

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a giant box of pre-burned t5s in the basement I'll sell ya cheap! Lol

Seriously though might be a nice service for some!

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, interesting idea. I don't have a dimmable fixture, but I see how that would be convenient.

OP
OP
Variant

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saying, if they DO go with this service, we must demand the picture of their warehouse being lit by 100 ATI fixtures lol

That would be quite something to see... although they could just use any T5 retrofit kit to burn them in, doesn't need to be ati fixtures. Maybe they can even have these bulbs light frag tanks while they're being burned in... I'd prefer they not do that but who knows!

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be quite something to see... although they could just use any T5 retrofit kit to burn them in, doesn't need to be ati fixtures. Maybe they can even have these bulbs light frag tanks while they're being burned in... I'd prefer they not do that but who knows!

Oh there's definitely better ways, I just want the picture :D

I also want to see someone use kessils as accent lighting outside of their house.. don't ask why, I don't even know, but I want to see it LOL

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overhead cost for them to actually do this would probably come with a crazy high premium passed on to the customer... It would almost certainly be cheaper for you to just buy a cheapo t5 fixture and burn in the bulbs yourself...

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overhead cost for them to actually do this would probably come with a crazy high premium passed on to the customer... It would almost certainly be cheaper for you to just buy a cheapo t5 fixture and burn in the bulbs yourself...

I also agree with this completely. BRS even sells cheap 2-4 bulb fixtures that are under $100 that you could use just for this.

OP
OP
Variant

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Perhaps... OR they can light all the warehouses and office lights using t5 bulbs and then they get to use a free bulb! Synergies!

OP
OP
Variant

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like if BRS burned in bulbs in batches, this might actually make sense for the business. How long does it really take someone to put in a single bulb into its socket? You put bulbs in sockets in mass, flip a single switch, come back after 50-100 hours, flip switch off, take bulbs off. The time spent per bulb by a person is likely 1-2 minutes. Assuming $10/hr min wage for someone to put bulbs in/out and ~3 mins to put in/out bulbs, that's 20 bulbs per hour or $0.50/bulb in labor.

Add on top of that the infrastructure to light these bulbs, assuming they have the space to do this already, it's a matter of the fixture costs that can be spread across hundreds of bulbs that only use the lights 50-100hr/bulb.

Hmmmm

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget the time to open packages, repackage them, breakage, electricity, the physical space required, storing all the packaging, etc. Things are rarely as simple as they seem.

OP
OP
Variant

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An interesting idea for sure, but I think the overall cost/time like @Silver14SS mentioned would make this cost prohibitive. A $25 bulb would quickly become a $35+ bulb.

Gotcha. I would hope that consumers are willing to pay for the mark up caused by the electricity cost because this is at least something they would have had to pay for. But if it's truly not economic to do this, maybe it's something to bring up when talking to some of the major T5 bulb manufacturers - either have pre burned-in bulbs or make bulbs that don't require this burn in for dimmable fixtures :) you'll be my hero~ haha

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you would always find someone willing to pay the premium to save themselves time and effort (Which is really the basis behind a large portion of the service industry) the question would really be, how many people would be willing to pay.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see a very inexpensive burn in station. Like a retro kit with no reflectors.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... I wonder if I can offer VERY burned in bulbs- starting at 2500 hours xD

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back