New Set Up Tips

hairykopite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So touch wood I have cleared some time next week to get the tank finally going.

Sorry for the long post but even after reading and watching everything i have done so far its a mine field.

So as it stand this is what I currently have, what else do I need to start the cycle process?

Reefer 250 (fingers crossed on the leaks) Tank and Stand
2 x RL90 lamps
Return Pump in sump
Protein Skimmer
Small Wavemaker (currently sourcing a match pair)
Live Sand
Live Rock
Salt water
test Kits
Refractor
Heater & Control Unit
Cover
Would filter socks be the way to go at the start over the more expensive cousin the reef roller?
Im thinking of a Refugium Section, should i wait until the cycle is completed before starting this?

I am sorting an RO unit so will be mixing my own salt after the initial fill.

What else would you be adding over time, either essential or perhaps time saving.

Is there a definitive guide for the cycling process, I have watched various YouTube videos and seen many different versions, some use products for instant cycle (i did this on my freshwater tanks but not so keen on a reef tank) some say no lights for a month while some say have them on, I'm just after maybe what is the more common approach that have the better chance of long term success.

I know a lot of my post is subjective but open to ideas as i begin this journey.

Thank You

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first of all welcome to the hobby!
I think you have very thorough research already. I say just go for it on the cycle with what you have and adjust as you go.
My advice would be to not react abruptly to changes and to aim for ranges instead of exact numbers. As a noob any test reading would prompt me to react and try to fix that and fixing that threw something else out of whack. Make small corrections and stability will pay off in the long run.

Regarding your other questions, there are many was to start the cycle. I did ammonia drops, bacteria in a bottle and fishless just because it sounded easy. No issues. I started with the bare minimum equipment and added equipment over time which allowed me to understand how the tank behaved. For the cycle you don't need the socks. You can add those later. Roller is same thing, IMO just makes your life easier. You can leave the lights off if you want for the first few days but wont hurt if you leave them on. I left them on. If you are starting with dry rock, I would highly recommend you ask your LFS to give you one of the rocks from one of their sumps, it will speed up the whole process (not just the cycle) since its a rock from an established tank.
Regarding what else to get I recommend an ATO. Not necessary but it does make life so much easier. The rest, I would say don't spend any $ until you understand if you need that piece of equipment or not
And lastly, start your build thread and share lots of pics!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back