New sharks for my tank

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The first sharks in my tank are a pair of brown banded bamboo and a pair of grey bamboo.
Very nice pair. Assure nitrates are kept down and avoid live feeder fish. These guys need plenty of room to swim around. Round or hexagonal tanks are best, as the corners of a rectangular tank will restrict the shark's swimming motion. They are carnivorous animals that eat a lot and in turn produce a lot of waste. Its important to have effective filtration to keep the water clean and carbon filters and a protein skimmers are recommended. Like any aquatic animal, it's also important to keep the water temperature comfortable for your shark at 78-80 for these guys.
Your new sharks will eat foods such as uncooked shrimp, scallops, mussels, and pieces of fresh fish, squid or octopus. Cut any large food into bite-sized pieces. Again . . . Do not feed your shark feeder fish such as goldfish or guppies which can have diseases and are not a natural food for bamboo sharks. If you want to feed your sharks live food, feed silversides or sand eels if you can find live. Bamboo sharks only need to be fed every two or three days.

OP
OP
D

dkegflorida

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I think the word tank is an understatement here. Any concern for leeching any kind of toxins with the bricks or how'd you do that?
If you are talking about the main tank, those are 1x3 glass tile. The patio is porcelain tile.

OP
OP
D

dkegflorida

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome. I was hoping this wasn't a 90 gallon tank. Dude has a 20k gallon shark pool. Well done sir!!
Thank you. My previous tank was 6,000 gallons and really upsized this time. I also have a 550 inside the home.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
D

dkegflorida

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unbelievable! You are living the aquarium dream! Do you have any plans for adding sand to the shark tank and what the future stock list (including macroalgae) will be like for both tanks? What’s the evaporation/temperature control and filtration like?
The shark tank will remain bare bottom. The whole interior is glass tile and won't scratch the sharks undersides. The tank is 21' x 21' x 6'. I am getting additional artificial structures to provide more hiding for the sharks and fish. The tank will have sharks, groupers, and some grunts. There are currently hundreds of shrimp in the tank that are reproducing and are available for the sharks and grouper to eat. But that is not there main feeding. I feed them a variety of frozen food - clams, scallops, shrimp, fish, and krill. I use the Mazuri vitamins for the sharks.

The tide pool section has 4,800lbs of CaribSea crushed coral over the perforated return pipes which came to about 3-4" deep. Over the crushed coral I put 3,600lbs of CaribSea Aragamax sand which is about 3-4" deep. Then came the 2,000lbs of CaribSea South Seas Rock that was placed around the edges and covering the 3 flow pumps. The flow pumps go on and off throughout a 24/hr period. I added the

There is a 4" pipe connecting the tide pool to the shark tank. Water gravity flows from the tide pool to the shark tank through the pipe. I have a 4th pump that runs for 5 minutes every 3 hours and that pumps the tide pool water into the shark tank to simulate the tide. It drops the tide pool several inches and then it fills back up.

The tide pool has some several damsels, a blenny, several anemones, numerous shrimp (that are reproducing), different types of snails and crabs. Since the beginning I have added hundreds and hundreds of thousands of copepods and amphipods to both areas to handle the algae.

I have to go now. I will post more info later....

OP
OP
D

dkegflorida

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shark tank will remain bare bottom. The whole interior is glass tile and won't scratch the sharks undersides. The tank is 21' x 21' x 6'. I am getting additional artificial structures to provide more hiding for the sharks and fish. The tank will have sharks, groupers, and some grunts. There are currently hundreds of shrimp in the tank that are reproducing and are available for the sharks and grouper to eat. But that is not there main feeding. I feed them a variety of frozen food - clams, scallops, shrimp, fish, and krill. I use the Mazuri vitamins for the sharks.

The tide pool section has 4,800lbs of CaribSea crushed coral over the perforated return pipes which came to about 3-4" deep. Over the crushed coral I put 3,600lbs of CaribSea Aragamax sand which is about 3-4" deep. Then came the 2,000lbs of CaribSea South Seas Rock that was placed around the edges and covering the 3 flow pumps. The flow pumps go on and off throughout a 24/hr period. I added the

There is a 4" pipe connecting the tide pool to the shark tank. Water gravity flows from the tide pool to the shark tank through the pipe. I have a 4th pump that runs for 5 minutes every 3 hours and that pumps the tide pool water into the shark tank to simulate the tide. It drops the tide pool several inches and then it fills back up.

The tide pool has some several damsels, a blenny, several anemones, numerous shrimp (that are reproducing), different types of snails and crabs. Since the beginning I have added hundreds and hundreds of thousands of copepods and amphipods to both areas to handle the algae.

My favorite thing to do is look around the tide pool section at night. I always see the big 4" shrimp and sometimes the crabs. I hadn't seen the emerald crabs in quite a while and last night found 2 of them. They have tripled in size in the past 3-4 months. The blue damsels are always hiding so I don't see them often. I have never put any food in the tide pool, so it has become its own eco system. Its working because the shrimp were 1/2" and now there are 4" ones all over and they are reproducing. The anemones are healthy and growing and the emerald crabs have grown 3x in size. The hundreds and hundreds of thousands of amphipods, copepods (Parvo, Acartia, Pseudo, Tisbe, Tigger Pods, Apocyclops) and mysid I added in the summer keep the tide pool clean along with the snails, crabs and shrimp.

Look at the 2 most recent videos in my album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/U9UUKSju5T47BiFH6

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My favorite thing to do is look around the tide pool section at night. I always see the big 4" shrimp and sometimes the crabs. I hadn't seen the emerald crabs in quite a while and last night found 2 of them. They have tripled in size in the past 3-4 months. The blue damsels are always hiding so I don't see them often. I have never put any food in the tide pool, so it has become its own eco system. Its working because the shrimp were 1/2" and now there are 4" ones all over and they are reproducing. The anemones are healthy and growing and the emerald crabs have grown 3x in size. The hundreds and hundreds of thousands of amphipods, copepods (Parvo, Acartia, Pseudo, Tisbe, Tigger Pods, Apocyclops) and mysid I added in the summer keep the tide pool clean along with the snails, crabs and shrimp.

Look at the 2 most recent videos in my album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/U9UUKSju5T47BiFH6
Sweet! Do keep us updated with pictures/videos! Be careful with those penaeid shrimp (the big species) as they are opportunistic feeders and are said to consume small fish and even each other.
Was also wondering if you had plans on adding any rays and larger schooling fish.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You will need a ton of filtration for Blacktips. They are huge active swimmers that need a ton of food.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 62 28.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 48 21.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 25 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 76 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back