New sulfur denitrator working great!

Reefvision

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a sulfur reactor using two Used red octopus reactors I picked up . Saved $$$$.
1 reactor for sulfur the other for ARM. Water from reactor1 (sulfur gets sent to reactor 2 (ARM) and then back into the sump. Been on my 300 build now for 2 months, so far so good....
I did the same with two separate reactors but put 2/3 sulphur and 1/3 aragonite in each and circulation in series with maxi jet - was working well until I inadvertently knocked tube off maxi pump and didn’t realize for a day or two. When I realized that, my reactors were black inside and smelled awful. I did not restart circulation for fear of tank crash. I ditched all sulphur- should have rinsed and restarted. Nitrates now 30-40 and I’m redoing the setup with one reactor sulphur and other oyster grit with a sicce pump. I hopefully will get success with this.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same with two separate reactors but put 2/3 sulphur and 1/3 aragonite in each and circulation in series with maxi jet - was working well until I inadvertently knocked tube off maxi pump and didn’t realize for a day or two. When I realized that, my reactors were black inside and smelled awful. I did not restart circulation for fear of tank crash. I ditched all sulphur- should have rinsed and restarted. Nitrates now 30-40 and I’m redoing the setup with one reactor sulphur and other oyster grit with a sicce pump. I hopefully will get success with this.
sorry to hear your slight hic-up. hmmmm oyster grit, I looked it up a company out of Nevada...sounds like a good idea...reading about it, it seems pretty fine or does it come in different sizes? My concern if it is too fine could cause water flow issue...

Reefvision

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral/calcium

Attachments

• 503AE5E3-011F-45E9-8E77-EE473F6C6F85.jpeg
    503AE5E3-011F-45E9-8E77-EE473F6C6F85.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 45

Dule T&T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question
Will sulfur denitrator increase the amount of sulfur in display tank, and if so, would chemical filtration media like carbon/purit eliminate that sulfur from the system?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question
Will sulfur denitrator increase the amount of sulfur in display tank, and if so, would chemical filtration media like carbon/purit eliminate that sulfur from the system?

The sulfur in a denitrator is converted into sulfate, the third most abundant ion by mass in seawater after sodium and chloride. At 2700 ppm in normal seawater, it takes a lot of denitrification to significantly boost sulfate. Water changes will reduce any concern.

Dule T&T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sulfur in a denitrator is converted into sulfate, the third most abundant ion by mass in seawater after sodium and chloride. At 2700 ppm in normal seawater, it takes a lot of denitrification to significantly boost sulfate. Water changes will reduce any concern.

My system doesn't rely on water changes (it's not easy to do water changes on 500 gallon system), but it does have a proper chemical filtration.
That's why I am slightly concerned about possible Sulfur in the system.

I mean, the main reason to install sulfur denitrator was to decrease the need for water changes and save some money and time.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system doesn't rely on water changes (it's not easy to do water changes on 500 gallon system), but it does have a proper chemical filtration.
That's why I am slightly concerned about possible Sulfur in the system.

I mean, the main reason to install sulfur denitrator was to decrease the need for water changes and save some money and time.

I think it’s a non concern. The same effect happens in reverse when dosing calcium chloride, with accumulating chloride causing a depletion of sulfate when salinity is maintained. There’s a pretty wide range of chloride to sulfate ratio people end up with and little evidence it matters much.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased and aquamaxx sulfur denitrator my nitrates were very high around 80 ppm's after two weeks the nitrates entering my denitrator are 40 ppm's and coming out are zero denitrator is working great. It only took the two weeks for the bacteria to develop enough!
If it only took 2 weeks to build enough bacteria . And the ability to consume 40ppm it might be time to adjust it a little faster .
ideally zero nitrates isn’t always a good thing .

Dule T&T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s a non concern. The same effect happens in reverse when dosing calcium chloride, with accumulating chloride causing a depletion of sulfate when salinity is maintained. There’s a pretty wide range of chloride to sulfate ratio people end up with and little evidence it matters much.
You just reminded me of something.
Could sulfur denitrator decrease the amount of Ca in the system?
If Calcium chloride decreases the level of sulfate, could it go the other way around as well?
I did notice that I need to dose more Ca than before even though I have the same corals in the System.
I am not chemist, so I hope I don't bother you too much.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Calcium chloride decreases the level of sulfate, could it go the other way around as well?
I did notice that I need to dose more Ca than before even though I have the same corals in the System.

The effect I mentioned relates to chloride accumulating, and when you adjust to maintain salinity, everything else declines. It is not directly a calcium effect and sulfur denitrators have no effect on calcium unless you pass the acidic and low alk effluent over calcium carbonate to try to boost the pH and alk. In that case, it will cause a calcium rise.

Dule T&T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The effect I mentioned relates to chloride accumulating, and when you adjust to maintain salinity, everything else declines. It is not directly a calcium effect and sulfur denitrators have no effect on calcium unless you pass the acidic and low alk effluent over calcium carbonate to try to boost the pH and alk. In that case, it will cause a calcium rise.
Thanks I understand now.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running my SD for years. Calcium stays stable, but you need to dose extra alk. A SD consumes a lot of alk.

BugXprt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question
it is of no concern, I have good youtube videos on mine under Skullreefer. Sulfer odor can be more of a problem, that just needs fine tuning of effluent.

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a refresher for those interested.

thanks for sharing.

I have the TS-3 and when I’ve noticed a lot of gas in the reactor, it’s always been air being sucked in somehow, likely through your dosing pump into the inlet of the reactor. I’d check to ensure you don’t have bubbles getting the reactor and you can check that by looking at where the inlet tube goes into the pre-filter.

there’s no way all that gas is H2S, otherwise you’d definitely know!! If a few bubbles, more likely to be nitrogen from the bacteria breaking down the nitrates.

would highly recommend using an ORP probe, not to chase numbers, but to realize when you have a problem. If flow is too low and ORP goes too negative, the reactor will foul and clog due to mulm formation, and will will get some H2S. If flow is too high and ORP is too high, or if you have air in the reactor like you have now, you won’t achieve the anoxic environment that is needed for the anaerobic bacteria.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back