New T. squamosima from Biota

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody see this new (for sale species) T. squamosima captive raise from Biota?
I think it was formerly known as Tridacna costata
I am not associated or connected to Biota Marine in anyway other than just very interested in all the new captive bred animals they bring into our hobby and wish them well for their efforts.
squamosina_600x.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought one! Super excited, I've been waiting for this species to become available for years. Very surprised by the reasonable price!
Just to let everybody know, I am not a part of @Biota_Marine in anyway. Just interested in the new captive bred animals they brought into our hobby.

mbaird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the one earlier this week they listed as wysiwyg and got it yesterday (which was even cheaper than the listing ($115)). Probably about ~4 inches long. Healthy, nice white growth line on it. Pretty similar to their example one on the listing here, just a solid brown with the white lines and a green rim. Completely different coloration than any others that I've seen, kind of like a hippopus crossed with a squamosa. Nice big scutes on it

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to let everybody know, I am not a part of @Biota_Marine in anyway. Just interested in the new captive bred animals they brought into our hobby.
They've done so much for the hobby. I know a lot of it is a business and driven my profit motivation, but it's really done some good in making captive bred fish and invert buying a viable alternative for fully stocking the tank. Makes me happy

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the one earlier this week they listed as wysiwyg and got it yesterday (which was even cheaper than the listing ($115)). Probably about ~4 inches long. Healthy, nice white growth line on it. Pretty similar to their example one on the listing here, just a solid brown with the white lines and a green rim. Completely different coloration than any others that I've seen, kind of like a hippopus crossed with a squamosa. Nice big scutes on it
Oh wow, 4” is larger than I thought

wjgeese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody see this new (for sale species) T. squamosima captive raise from Biota?
I think it was formerly known as Tridacna costata
I am not associated or connected to Biota Marine in anyway other than just very interested in all the new captive bred animals they bring into our hobby and wish them well for their efforts.
squamosina_600x.jpg
Looks like the squamosas listed as Red Sea squamosas I have seen lately

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These clams were considered T.squamosa before, then T. costada then finally consider T.squamosima, a species described in 1899, after further examination.
They are actually rare in the Red Sea but more common in the Pacific.

I initially read about them as T. costada, a rare new clam species in the Red Sea several years ago. I never thought I have a chance to own one.
Too bad it is not the right time for me right now. Too much of my time been tied up professionally. Maybe in a few years.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know that they're a bit bigger! I'm hoping the one I bought (not WYSIWYG) is close to that size.

wjgeese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
squamosas are indeed rare in the Red Sea, which is why we all get excited to see them being propagated! Whether this is squamosina or a variant of squamosa we can't be sure but it is very beautiful. Very unlikely costata given they are even rarer, not propagated and doesn't resemble costata, which are characterized by deeply scalloped shells. Either way it's a beaut!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why the disclaimer?

I personally love Biota and have purchased many a fish and coral from them. I'm biased but I also know how to be objective. The disclaimer through me off as I recall you keeping it on the even level.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 32.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 44 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 21.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 31 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back