New Tank... 72" W x 24" D x 24" H... What thickness of glass is best?

Ignitros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone!

I am looking to purchase a new tank for a project I'm starting. It will be either 72" W x 24" D x 24" H or 72" W x 30" D x 24" H. During my research I have seen glass thickness anywhere from 1/4" to 3/4" thick for these size of tanks. I already know I'm getting one with no tempering.

What thickness is best?

What about bracing the top?

What will last longer?

Should I go 24" D or 30" D?

This is going to be a through wall tank so only the front will matter as far as clarity... the back and sides will be blacked out and the bottom will have ABS sheet sealed to it to keep from breaking the glass with a falling object. The filter and backside of the tank will be enclosed in it's own room.

What are your thoughts?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go 1/2” glass on a 24” deep, or 3/4” glass on the 30” deep, I think you’ll have good peace of mind. Let’s see what others think.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with 3/4” or 5/8” if you can. Thicker is better if you have no brace

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends- if you are going with mp40s, then they will be fine. If you are going with cheaper pumps, then they might be an issue

OP
OP
Ignitros

Ignitros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not too worried about the pumps. I have Maxspect Gyre's in mind for flow. I'm really more thinking about durability and longevity. This is a tank I'm not wanting to have issues with since it's through wall and custom I'm okay with the additional cost involved in thicker glass. I would rather do it right the first time. The company I'm thinking about having build the tank gives options of 1/2", 5/8" and 3/4" for the size panels and I'm looking at with low iron glass for the front panel. I just really don't want to go way beyond what is necessary. The tank is going down stairs into a basement so there is moving it into place to take into consideration. Why have 3/4" glass with that added weight to move if it's not necessary you know?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you having this tank custom built? If so the manufacturer you choose will give you a good idea on appropriate thicknesses. I ended up with 3 quotes for my build (60" × 24" × 16.5") 3/8" euro braced - 1/2" rimless was what I got back from one, 1/2" euro braced - 3/4" rimless from another and the last was 3/4" Rimless and didn't quote euro bracing. I ended up going with the second eurobraced quote (Miracles Aquariums) then going wider to 30" and it stayed the 1/2" thickness. If your going rimless I wouldn't go less than 3/4" But that's me, if your getting it eurobraced than I'd say you'd be okay with 1/2" but once again that's me I am by no means a glass expert I just tend to go with the safer option.

FWIW, when I got quoted a 1/2" one piece eurobraced tank was $200ish cheaper than the 3/4" Rimless with the same dimensions..

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4" . Nothing else.

I have a 255 gallon Rimless with 3/4" glass. Your main priority is strength and stability of the tank over time.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back