New tank fish plan

Carl Rosleck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about 2 weeks away from adding fish to my new tank. I am new to saltwater and been doing research in what I can safely support. I have a 32 gallon biocube so I am limited to the number of fish I can put in with the CUC and corals. I think I can only put in 3-4 fish, does this sound right?

I am thinking of adding the following, 1 every 2 weeks, I will start with a tank raised clown fish, then add a Royal Gramma, followed by Banggai Cardinal. I don't know if I can add a fourth but if I can I was thinking a Coral Beauty Angelfish. Does this sound like it would work or should I do a different timeframe for adding fish or add different fish?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about 2 weeks away from adding fish to my new tank. I am new to saltwater and been doing research in what I can safely support. I have a 32 gallon biocube so I am limited to the number of fish I can put in with the CUC and corals. I think I can only put in 3-4 fish, does this sound right?

I am thinking of adding the following, 1 every 2 weeks, I will start with a tank raised clown fish, then add a Royal Gramma, followed by Banggai Cardinal. I don't know if I can add a fourth but if I can I was thinking a Coral Beauty Angelfish. Does this sound like it would work or should I do a different timeframe for adding fish or add different fish?
Your fish can support more fish than that as long as you have the proper filtration or are willing to do frequent large water changes.

I would be a little concerned about a Coral Beauty. They are a wonderful fish but your system might be on the small side for one. That can cause them to be stressed and act aggressively.

If you stick with smaller fish you could definitely add at least 6 to 8 fish. You could do a pair of clowns, royal gramma, 2 or 3 cardinals and maybe a few chromis or firefish.

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be a little concerned about a Coral Beauty. They are a wonderful fish but your system might be on the small side for one. That can cause them to be stressed and act aggressively.

If you stick with smaller fish you could definitely add at least 6 to 8 fish.

This is so true. I have a Coral Beauty in my BC29 and he's a mean S.O.B. I've had them before in bigger tanks and they were model citizens. I really regret putting him in there.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend against a dwarf angel in that size tank as well.

Other options include: yellow assessor, stigmatura blenny, orange spot blenny, chalk bass, watchman goby.

OP
OP
Carl Rosleck

Carl Rosleck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I should add That I have around 30 LBS of live sand and 22 LBS of live rock in the tank. Does this effect the number of fish I can safely have?

SMaggart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many of you might remember me, I had the thread on Velvet in my 180 gal. All is clear now & copper is gone. Time to rebuild (over the course of time)... I have listed my desires for each tank, but unsure of who goes in 1..2..3.. etc. I know there will be time for some fish to grow before adding another, and the Lion last when all are too big to eat... Any advice is sure welcomed.
180 gal tank I Have...
8" foxface
File fish
Med tomato clown
Sm Emporer Angel 1.5"
Diamond back goby

I Want to add in 180g
Clown trigger
Niger trigger (maybe)
Flame Angel
Christmas wrasse
Volitan Lionfish (last)
Zebra moray eel (red)
Leopard puffer
Cleaner shrimp
Cleaner crabs
Snails?

55 Gal tank... empty - no fish
I want to add...
copperband butterfly
Snowflake Clowns 2
Heniochus butterflies 2
Scissor tail gobies 2
Mandarin
Valentini puffer
Red lobster shrimp
Crabs
Snails

Jaylivi1212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many of you might remember me, I had the thread on Velvet in my 180 gal. All is clear now & copper is gone. Time to rebuild (over the course of time)... I have listed my desires for each tank, but unsure of who goes in 1..2..3.. etc. I know there will be time for some fish to grow before adding another, and the Lion last when all are too big to eat... Any advice is sure welcomed.
180 gal tank I Have...
8" foxface
File fish
Med tomato clown
Sm Emporer Angel 1.5"
Diamond back goby

I Want to add in 180g
Clown trigger
Niger trigger (maybe)
Flame Angel
Christmas wrasse
Volitan Lionfish (last)
Zebra moray eel (red)
Leopard puffer
Cleaner shrimp
Cleaner crabs
Snails?

I want to add...
copperband butterfly
Snowflake Clowns 2
Heniochus butterflies 2
Scissor tail gobies 2
Mandarin
Valentini puffer
Red lobster shrimp
Crabs
Snails
From my experiences Triggers & clean up crew don't go together for long especially with a puffer. This is my experience, others could have a different story.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
180 gal tank I Have...
8" foxface
File fish
Med tomato clown
Sm Emporer Angel 1.5"
Diamond back goby

I Want to add in 180g
Clown trigger
Niger trigger (maybe)
Flame Angel
Christmas wrasse
Volitan Lionfish (last)
Zebra moray eel (red)
Leopard puffer
Cleaner shrimp
Cleaner crabs
Snails?

I want to add...
copperband butterfly
Snowflake Clowns 2
Heniochus butterflies 2
Scissor tail gobies 2
Mandarin
Valentini puffer
Red lobster shrimp
Crabs
Snails
Crabs, snails, and shrimp won't last long with puffers, triggers, and a Christmas wrasse.

Triggers and puffers can be quite nippy to the fins of a lionfish.

Even full grown, a diamond goby, Christmas wrasse, and leopard puffer are small enough to be eaten by a volitan lion.

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'd also skip the angel. They can be feisty in small confines and are also known for potentially eating coral. Otherwise, the clowns, gramma and cardinal are good choices. Have you considered a blenny? I have a sailfin in one tank, a bicolor in another, and tailspot in a third. They have awesome personalities. Very social and constantly begging for food. You could also consider a pistol shrimp/goby combo. I have a few pairs in my tanks and they're also fun to watch. Randall's goby with Randall's shrimp is an awesome color combo. That particular goby is also VERY peaceful. Diver's den constantly has pairs of gobies with a shrimp for a reasonable price

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, more rock isn't always better. You want to make sure the inhabitants you do get have the appropriate room to swim. I myself prefer minimal rock.

SMaggart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice! Greatly appreciated. Back to the drawing board of matching correct fish for each tank. My display 180 I'm wanting the exotic more aggressive fish.. I need to match those accordingly.
The 55 I'm wanting a community friendly tank with variety of colors & swimmers in each. Appreciate your advice

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
180 gal tank I Have...
8" foxface
File fish
Med tomato clown
Sm Emporer Angel 1.5"
Diamond back goby

I Want to add in 180g
Clown trigger
Niger trigger (maybe)
Flame Angel
Christmas wrasse
Volitan Lionfish (last)
Zebra moray eel (red)
Leopard puffer
Cleaner shrimp
Cleaner crabs
Snails?

I want to add...
copperband butterfly
Snowflake Clowns 2
Heniochus butterflies 2
Scissor tail gobies 2
Mandarin
Valentini puffer
Red lobster shrimp
Crabs
Snails
Arent triggers really mean!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back