New Tank, Plumbing Help

Tyson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone - I've had a 20L tank running for about 10 months now with a HOB filter and was recently starting to plan an upgrade. I've had my eye on some rimless shallow reef builds and yesterday I stumbled across an awesome deal at an LFS I couldn't pass up. It's a custom tank, 48"x23"x14" with a glass overflow on one side and another hole drilled in the base on the other. When I was planning my upgrade I assumed I would go with herbie style drain, but with this single drilled drain I'm guessing that probably isn't going to happen now. This is my first drilled tank to I'd like some advice on how I should set it up. This is getting setup in a living room area, so noise isn't a deal breaker. I'd prefer it as quiet as possible without any gurgling or flushing, but it's not a bedroom or anything like that. I'm also planning on building my own sump out of a 20L.

Would you just recommend single durso style drain in the overflow with a return plumbed straight up from the other side and 90 towards the middle with loc line? Both holes are 1.75" so my only option would be standard 1" sch 40 bulkheads, right? I've also heard about the maggie muffler/ stockman setup, would that be a better option than the durso?

I did have one other idea, though I'm not sure if it's feasible at all... Would it be possible to run the drain in the overflow as full siphon, then plumb the hole on the opposite side of the tank as the emergency drain. I'd put a low profile strainer on top and put it at a height a hair above my overflow. Then I could run the return in the center of the tank up over the back wall. As of right now I don't think I'm into drilling any other holes. Is this idea crazy and should I just stick with a durso and a single return coming up from the other base hole?

I also think I'm going to go with a single gyre, possibly the new icecap 3k. It would be on the side opposite of the overflow, but also end up right behind the return (if that's what I utilize that hole for). Think there would be any issue with the return partially in front of the gyre?

The drain setup wasn't ideal for me, but any advice on setting it up the best way possible would be appreciated, as I'm super excited about the footprint of the tank.

Oh yes, one last question, do you think I need to build an acrylic cover around the glass overflow, or even just a top with teeth, to prevent critters from making their way into that?

Sorry for the long post, but thanks for any help!

tank.JPG

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a challenging setup. Any single drain system would make me nervous. I would be tempted to build a weir around the second hole and use it as an emergency drain. You could then bring the return up the outside edge of the tank. And yes, you will need some kind of cover to prevent fish from getting in. Snails will likely work there way in regardless of what you do.
I love the tank dimensions but the hole locations do leave something to be desired.

OP
OP
T

Tyson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. The more I think about it the more I'm considering prying off the current glass overflow and drilling a 2nd hole next to it on the bottom. Then reinstalling a wider overflow around both holes. Think it would be easy enough to buy a wider center section of glass for the overflow and re-silicon it back into place?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. The more I think about it the more I'm considering prying off the current glass overflow and drilling a 2nd hole next to it on the bottom. Then reinstalling a wider overflow around both holes. Think it would be easy enough to buy a wider center section of glass for the overflow and re-silicon it back into place?
How confident are you that the glass wasn't tempered after the holes were drilled? Drilling a new hole will shatter the glass if it is tempered and many bottom glass panels on aquariums are tempered.

Otherwise, getting glass cut to fit is fairly easy. An even better option would be to use plastic or acrylic. Since the water pressure should push it against the tank the strength of the bond isn't critical. Most glass aquariums do not use glass overflows.

Back