New tank testing, looking for advice

smoothie7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up 2 - 40 gallon tanks. One will be dedicated as a sps tank and one will be a lps tank. I just test last night using Hanna electronic testers and wanted to get your thoughts.

Left Tank: been set up for 29 days
Calcium 398
Magnesium 1500
Phosphate 0.00
pH 8.0
Nitrite .075
Nitrate 9.0
Ammonia .21
Salinity 1.025
Alkalinity 6.6

Right Tank: been set up for 43 days
Calcium 424
Magnesium 1340
Phosphate 0.00
pH 8.2
Nitrite .041
Nitrate 10.3
Ammonia .11
Salinity 1.024
Alkalinity 6.4

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above zero phosphate will be a problem. I consider Phosphate one of the most critical building block for corals in a reef tank and prefer the value to be in the 0.04-0.15 ppm range.

I am assuming since these are new tanks there are no fish so no feeding hence the reason for zero.
Also with zero phosphate your nitrate will accumulate, you need PO4 to reduce NO3…

Alk can be bit higher 7.5 dKh, your value is ok but from my experience higher value help with pH.

Just a suggestion, if you want SPS tank first you might want to put in there easy to grow corals and once the tank is stable replace/sell the corals for SPS.

Good luck,

OP
OP
S

smoothie7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both tanks do have a couple of fish and the one that his been set up a little longer has some lps. Nothing but a couple fish in the sps tank yet. How do you recommend raising phosphates?

michigan-reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Brightwell Aquatics NeoPhos, and it worked great for me. I would recommend starting with 50% less than the recommended dosage at first. Test phosphate after and increase the dose slowly.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Brightwell Aquatics NeoPhos, and it worked great for me. I would recommend starting with 50% less than the recommended dosage at first. Test phosphate after and increase the dose slowly.

I recommend food grade sodium phosphate over more expensive hobby products with no purity assurance.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 180 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back