New tank water turned cloudy

addicted4life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 240G frag table, 8 feet by 4 feet by 12" deep of water. I got some crushed coral and added 1" for substrate. CC was used, but was told it had been dried out for a couple months.
I started adding 40G of new mixed saltwater using seachem reef salt mixed to .025. I have my rodi unit connected to a brute trash can. Within 3 days I had 120 G of water in the tank with the substrate, 2 small korallia power heads, and a few 200W heaters.
Unfortunantly the tank sat like this for about 2 weeks for various reasons, and now the water has clouded up.
I tested it tonight and found these results
Ammonia 0.25 ppm
Nitrates 0.00 ppm
Nitrites 0.00 ppm
Ph 8.2
Temp 77f
This frag table will be connected to my 180G display and a 180G sump that hold 90G of water.
So this new frag table will roughly be 1/2 the total system volume when the 2 are mixed into one larger system.
What should I do with this cloudy water ? I have considered draining it all and starting over and finishing the tank setup before another 2 weeks slip by.
Is this water worth saving or dumping ?

NaClCrocodile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem for my tank when I set it up. It was clear for a little, then hazy for ~3weeks. The day after I hooked up a carbon reactor to it, it went nice and clear. I'd try doing that first and if that doesn't work, you may be better off just replacing the water. I assume it didn't sit stagnant for two weeks?

Back