New Taxes / Fees on orders.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this sales tax really sucks. I now have to look for other options.. BRS should increase the points then to compensate for the taxes.

Why? The sales tax goes to the (your) state. BRS makes nothing off of it. In fact, it’s more paperwork for them, so they probalby come out a bit behind in the deal.

I doubt you will be able to find anything better, at least not for long. I look at it this way: we were getting a bonus deal by avoiding sales tax for years, now that bonus is going away.

As for where I shop - I try to patronize my LFS when I can because I view them as a valuable resource. They’re only 10-15 minutes away, too, so it’s not hard to get there. For things they don’t carry or if there’s a significant price difference I’ll shop BRS.

Out of curiosity, I just checked Marine Depot - I ordered some stuff from them a little while ago that BRS didn’t have and I didn’t have to pay tax. Their web site lists 26 states that it will charge sales tax for but MN isn’t one of them. I’m guessing it’s coming, though.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
this sales tax really sucks. I now have to look for other options.. BRS should increase the points then to compensate for the taxes.

Whether you've been caught or not - you have been supposed to be paying sales tax (to your state) on every purchase you made out of state. Its your state thats charging the tax - complain to them lol (but my guess is it won't help, unfortunately).

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup - it's called Consumer Use Tax. Basically, that covers everything. If your company buys something tax-exempt and then uses it internally, that's Consumer Use Tax. If you buy something as a consumer on the internet, that is also Consumer Use Tax (if you didn't pay state sales tax on it).

I had a customer in an office that was giving away goodies to all of their customers (patients) and they bought everything tax-exempt but since they didn't re-sell it, all of it fell under Use Tax and when the state decided to audit them, they got nailed and had to go back 5 years and pay sales tax on all the stuff they gave away. They also had to pay tax on the Miracles tank that they purchased from Canada and put in the office. That was a big $$ one....

So it's technically not a new tax, at least not in Iowa. It's just being enforced now.

EJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I got to go on a rant about taxes. I'm getting tired of politicians saying I live in a high tax state because the people of CA demand a certain standard of living. NOOOO! I didn't demand any of it, you politicians imposed it on me. I didn't get to vote on the 12 cent increase to every gallon of gas. I didn't get to vote on the yearly increase to my property taxes. I never got to vote on the salaries and pensions promised to the state worker. AHHH!! CA is killing me, but I love my state lol.

ok (deep breathes) rant over.
Property taxes go up partly because your home value increases. And you do vote for things included in your property tax.

Thanks to the federal government's "tax break" for the middle class, I got massively screwed on my federal taxes.

Last edited:

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Property taxes go up partly because your home value increases. And you do vote for things included in your property tax.

Thanks to the federal government's "tax break" for the middle class, I got massively screwed on my federal taxes.

Yeah, our taxes went up about 2500 from last year.

Who buys the B.S. that it was a tax cut? It was a hike on 99% of Americans, especially when some of the reductions people did see expire after 8 more years.

I guess when you tick on someone's leg and tell them it's raining, some people will believe you. :D

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

You also vote for the people that design the taxes. The tax cut actually helped many people - all 3 of my children paid less tax this year despite more income. We were about the same as last year - despite more income.

It just depends on what your deductions were/are. If you live in a high property state - and have a high mortgage - you got less back because deductions were limited. The one thing I think is bad about the new tax law - is getting rid of the personal exemption. If you have children thats a big addition (that live at home) - especially if you have more than 2.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back