New to reactors and picked this gem up, need o ring and ph probe holder cap threaded thing?

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this up last year, now I'm about ready for it. Where the probe goes isn't a complete holder as I've seen on other reactors? Will I need a new probe? New O ring for lid although it seems in decent shape? Some lines and a pump for water and affluent is all I should need?

20220911_192926.jpg

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pH probe isn't supposed to dry out so I believe you will need to replace that. The port in the top of the lid for the probe will also need to be replaced. I don't recall who has these for sale, perhaps BRS or ?

Some people set these up without a pH probe, just trickling water through the reactor at a constant rate and measuring the effluent to get that near or above 20dKh. They let it run for a day, measure the tank dKh again and increase or decrease flow to replace what the tank critters are using. Search "The other way to run a calcium reactor" it's was posted on the web as a video a few years ago.

OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new probe holder from coralvue, fits perfectly. Now I'm trying to figure out if I wanna replace the regulator because it isn't wanting to come undone from the solenoid, I need the compression fitting nut in all reality but I can't get them apart!

Attachments

• 20220925_122826.jpg
    20220925_122826.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 39

RealFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a little heat to get it to come loose, but be careful, there are a lot of parts close that won't like the heat.

OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a little heat to get it to come loose, but be careful, there are a lot of parts close that won't like the heat.
I'll try that, I found the piece I need on Amazon but if I can't get them apart, new regulator is gonna be next I guess!

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new probe holder from coralvue, fits perfectly. Now I'm trying to figure out if I wanna replace the regulator because it isn't wanting to come undone from the solenoid, I need the compression fitting nut in all reality but I can't get them apart!
How are you trying to seperate them?
A wrench on the needle valve and a wrench on the solenoid should do it.
Is the solenoid not working? The compression nut should be an easy and cheap find.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you trying to seperate them?
A wrench on the needle valve and a wrench on the solenoid should do it.
Is the solenoid not working? The compression nut should be an easy and cheap find.
Haven't even plugged it in to check, I just don't have the compression nut for the needle valve and yes I have a wrench on each, nada so far!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 116 43.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 88 33.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.5%
Back