New to Salt

PufferRey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello im new to the saltwater tank community I have a question about stocking my 30 gallon reef tank I've had it for almost a month now its fully cycled with a couple of coral and 2 ocellaris clownfish and a scarlet skunk shrimp in there as well, I've done my own research but im gonna throw some pitches at yall and would like a yay or nay or general ideas if yall have recommendations

I've heard weird things about a coral beauty angel in a 30 gallon ik they don't get that big but maybe??? yay or nay?
also was thinking about getting a six line wrasse down the line but towards the last thing cause I heard they could be jerks
I was thinking about getting either a dragonate or a diamond watchman goby a few months down the line just waiting for my tank to be more established first.
thank yall for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I agree with the others on the six-line and coral beauty. They are both high energy fish that will probably be very problematic in a small tank, at the least they will not be happy. Look for fish you like that tend to perch or slowly move about if you have a small tank; or fish that stay small enough that they just don't need much room like small gobies or dartfish, maybe a possum wrasse. It is usually better to under-stock a tank than over-stock it. Take your time and enjoy the fish you have. Good luck.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

Upvote 0

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the dimensions fo this tank? Is it a 30g hex which is taller than it is long or a 30 that is longer than it is higher? I think a coral beuaty would be fine in the long one to be honest but i wouldnt go with a six line wrasse in that size tank on aggression alone. There are other more peaceful wrasses like others mentioned that would be better. Just remember if your adding corals coral beauties may nip at em.

Upvote 0

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is the key!
If I had it to do over again my coral beauty would have stayed in my LFS!
Guy's been a pain for 6 years but still a really good active fish. Needs lots more room than they say.
Best of luck and welcome welcome to R2R!

Upvote 0

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zach,
Glad you found the website.

I would not recommend any of the drawf angels except for Pgmy Angel. Yellow Wrasse would be a better option than Six Line Wrasse.

I'd recommend keeping the fish livestock load low: you'll find the tank is easier to maintain and the guests will be happier. Instead of stocking more fish, focus on filter feeders.

Upvote 0

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, glad you are here! I’m going to go against the grain and share my experience. I have a six line in my 32g tank with 5 other fish and it is a model citizen. I’ve had them in my previous 16 years in this hobby and experienced the same. There are enough opinions to the contrary to make me wonder if I am just lucky. Idk?

Upvote 0

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, glad you are here! I’m going to go against the grain and share my experience. I have a six line in my 32g tank with 5 other fish and it is a model citizen. I’ve had them in my previous 16 years in this hobby and experienced the same. There are enough opinions to the contrary to make me wonder if I am just lucky. Idk?
Maybe luck or maybe good karma.

Upvote 0

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 105 43.2%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 47.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.3%
Back