New to saltwater

new2nemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I'm just starting out with salt water aquariums. I don't know much about them but have always wanted to try it. I bought a 90 gal and have it set up as a sump tank below. I purchased a few small libe rock but was wondering if I could use some rock that was given to me with the tank? I was thinking of making a rockscape later tonight and putting it in my tank would this be ok or would the used rock cause me problems. Thanks.

Arubix

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you have a 90 Gallon sump? Whats your main display tank size? Sorry, I'm just a bit confused.

When you take in someone else's rock, you're also adopting all of their problems. Who knows what pests he has or had? I would just kill the rock and recycle it. Just let it dry out completely and add it to your tank(Still not a guarantee that will kill everything in the rock, may need to look up cooking rock or something). If this setup is fresh and your tank is still cycling then this shouldn't be a problem after you kill the rock.

Also, since you're new... make sure you have around 90 lbs of rock or more in total if the 90 gallon is your tank size. And do a lot of research.

Small triggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the 90 your main tank or sump, I'm a bit confused...
And as far as the LR...you can use what came with the tank, but there may be some unwanted algaes or hit hikers you don't...so what I would do is keep the smallest piece that you can tell is clean to seed the new rock...then rinse the old rock and let it dry out... You never now what's in old rock...unless it was yours...

OP
OP
new2nemo

new2nemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry my display tank is 90 gal also the rock that was hiven to me is dried out. I'm not exactly sure how long its been out of water. I put my tank up on monday night let it run then added the salt tuesday afternoon and has been running ever since. I used sand for the botttom only about an inch worth. There os also some kinda broken up shells and gravle type material that was added to the sand. I was gonna try scrubbing out the rocks before putting them into my tank. I'm completely clueless about saltwater tanks so any help and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

briantlowery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a log and test your water constantly. You don't have to do it every day, but consistantly. The log will help start going crazy.
And read.......a lot. There are tons of web sites and books out there. The more education you gain, the more successful your tank will be.

Other than that, best of luck and welcome! New myself (4 months) and really enjoying it.

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing I can recommend is to go on Nano-Reef.com and read there beginners guide to salt water tanks. That article will break down and explain the basics for you. Once you read that, you'll have a much better understanding of what to do and how to take care of a salt water tank. I read that article and started my 10G nano within the week. Was a great step in the right direction. Tank stayed up and running for over a year until I upgraded to me 33L (48x12x12) which now has also been set up for over a year.

OP
OP
new2nemo

new2nemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's awsome. I'm deff gonna have to have a read on the web sites. I have been doing some reading but a lot of it seems greek to me. Lol I'm sure I will figure it out. Thanks for the help. I will post some pics as I go today.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

ShippD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R....All the info you will need is here on R2R for sure and ask ask ask questions read read read and ask ask ask read read read lol you get the point...I am sure it will be fine just do not be in any hurry..This is a slow hobby patience it the key and yes i know that is hard but imperative.... And always have fun.... :welcome:

OP
OP
new2nemo

new2nemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Patience isn't my besy quality but I guess that will come woth thia hobby.

inurocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have patience this hobby will teach it, as almost nothing good happens fast but bad things happen real fast. Welcome to the hobby and have fun.

OP
OP
new2nemo

new2nemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well upon reading the guide in this forun seems I have done it backwards. My tank has beed running since monday and salt added wednesday. I didn't place my rock on the bottom glass I placed it on the sand bed. Now I'm wondering if I should empty as much water as I can into buckets move the sand over place my rocks put the sand back in and then pour in the buckets again. Grrrrr

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No it's ok! You've went that far let's keep going! There are ways that you go about keeping a reef and some are flexible and some are debatable. I always place my rock on the sand so you're good to go. The salt has already been added so that's ok too.

ShippD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if it was me i would just pull the rock and move the sand around start at one end go half way move sand to other end put rock back then do other end if that makes sense..

OP
OP
new2nemo

new2nemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense yes my tank is deep so its kinda tough to reach the bottom but ill see what I can manage. Also I noticed my protein skimmer has a bottle attached to it that was empty and now is full of water do I empty this?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back