New to tank life,

Nanomg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there,
I'm Matt, hope all is well,
I have recently decided to start my very own nano saltwater tank and it is starting to do my head in haha

I am here for some expert help,
Ok so.. I have a 40lt nano tank with all the filtration built into the back of the tank, I am pumping 900lt/h through a hailea hc- 130a.
I have only live rock and crushed substrate in the tank no fish or corals and for some reason my nitrate levels and amonia levels will not go down,
My nitrate is sitting at a depressing 100ppm and my amonia is slowing on the decline, is sitting at roughly 0.25ppm
I understand this is meant to happen with the cycle of the tank but it has been cycling for about 10-12 weeks now,

When I started the tank thought it was a good idea to mix my own salt mix with a reef salt from aqua forest but have now gone to just using fresh saltwater straight from the ocean, and now have resorted to daily water changes,

Am I doing anything wrong with this setup? Am I being impatient?
The only thing I can think of is that being a nano I don't have a skimmer. Will I need to purchase one of them?

Please help :)

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard, Nanomg!

10-12 weeks does seem like a long time for a cycle, but it can happen ... obviously . . . You may have some decaying organic material inside your liverock, or there might be something in the natural seawater you're using. Where are you collecting it from? I wouldn't dare use water from the local beaches or bays due to reduced salinity, pollution and so much silt and plankton that visibility around here is about four feet on a good day.

In either case, adding some of the "bottled bacteria" is unlikely to hurt, and can certainly help. I've never used "Dr. Tim's One-and-Only", but it gets high marks from a lot of folks. Others (including myself) have had success with "Bio-Spira" by Instant Ocean. (Don't know whether either one is available in Wales, but you should be able to find something similar!)

~Bruce

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Matt to R2R and thanks for joining. Some good advice above and if nothing else, this is teaching you a valuable lesson on reef keeping...patience.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back