New to the game

Denver5280

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mistake and purchased a tank that’s tempered glass , stupid I know .. It’s a 120 gallon box and I’m asking if it’s possible to run a hang on over flow box with that many gallons?? If not any ideas? I’m only doing softy , the tank will have zero sps, not sure if that helps my ods but what the heck

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had over the lip overflow on a 90 for many years. The main problem was accumulating air in the top of the siphon. If flow was high enough it swept the air over, but lower flow accumulated air which could eventually break the siphon. I rigged a system that sucked air and water out of it, but that wasn't perfect.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i'm unaware of HOB overflows for larger tanks, but you could always get 2? and place on opposite sides with the return lines in the middle. there are some reputable cendors: CPR aquatics, seapora, eshopps, are a few

OP
OP
Denver5280

Denver5280

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on and thanks for sharing the info. Really appreciate it. I’m going to try to Jimmy rig a return hose overlapping the top of the rim to see if I can pull water hahahaha
This isn’t going to end well !?if not I’m tossing the tank which really sucks because there isn’t a single scratch on it

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Right on and thanks for sharing the info. Really appreciate it. I’m going to try to Jimmy rig a return hose overlapping the top of the rim to see if I can pull water hahahaha
This isn’t going to end well !?if not I’m tossing the tank which really sucks because there isn’t a single scratch on it
can always sell the tank and use the funds towards a newer, drillable one.

OP
OP
Denver5280

Denver5280

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm unaware of HOB overflows for larger tanks, but you could always get 2? and place on opposite sides with the return lines in the middle. there are some reputable cendors: CPR aquatics, seapora, eshopps, are a few
Right? That’s exactly what my plan was but unfortunately my girlfriend is wanting the tank as a room divider, that leaves me with a peninsula concept only allowing me to run all of the media from one end
can always sell the tank and use the funds towards a newer, drillable one

OP
OP
Denver5280

Denver5280

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about pulling water with a pump thru a u shaped hose or pcp connections?I have a few extra octo protein skimmer pumps I’m not using . I know I’m beating a dead horse here but the tank is in such great shape lol

OP
OP
Denver5280

Denver5280

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truly appreciate the advice , yeah I’m gonna roll with it and see what dual boxes does for me
. It’s a dang shame because the tank is in such good shape for being as old as it is and used . I know I’m beating a dead horse here, what’s your thoughts on using one of my protein skimmer pumps rigged with a flexible hose or pcp pulling water out and over the rim ?

OP
OP
Denver5280

Denver5280

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had over the lip overflow on a 90 for many years. The main problem was accumulating air in the top of the siphon. If flow was high enough it swept the air over, but lower flow accumulated air which could eventually break the siphon. I rigged a system that sucked air and water out of it, but that wasn't perfect.
Right on brother and l thanks for sharing your prior run down with this situation. This is my first big tank and unfortunately it’s a peninsula set up due to the location of the house, leaving me with 1 end for the all the media. Any thoughts on pulling water out and over the rim with a pump? I have a plethora of extra skimmer pumps

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A Hang-on refugium such as CPR backpack or Fiji and a hang on skimmer such as IceCap K1 or K2 series will make a huge difference

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a CPR CS90? It's pricey but I like that it uses an aqualifter pump to keep the section going over the lip clear of air being trapped.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on brother and l thanks for sharing your prior run down with this situation. This is my first big tank and unfortunately it’s a peninsula set up due to the location of the house, leaving me with 1 end for the all the media. Any thoughts on pulling water out and over the rim with a pump? I have a plethora of extra skimmer pumps
I wouldn't try what you're thinking, it's a recipe for disaster since you would have to try and match the flow of the pump, pumping out of the display, back up from the sump. And not just close, it would have to be exact. Check out that CPR Overflow box I mentioned.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mistake and purchased a tank that’s tempered glass , stupid I know .. It’s a 120 gallon box and I’m asking if it’s possible to run a hang on over flow box with that many gallons?? If not any ideas? I’m only doing softy , the tank will have zero sps, not sure if that helps my ods but what the heck

Easy... Eshopps makes a bunch of over the top overflows. The biggest is PF-1200. I run one on a 125.

OP
OP
Denver5280

Denver5280

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy... Eshopps makes a bunch of over the top overflows. The biggest is PF-1200. I run one on a 125.
Excellent! Thank you brotha I was running out of ideas. Nothing on Amazon was showing box over flows for 120’s . So thank you. Hey quick question, minus the normal protocol as to curing dry rock, you wouldn’t happen to know anything that could help speed up the curing process ?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent! Thank you brotha I was running out of ideas. Nothing on Amazon was showing box over flows for 120’s . So thank you. Hey quick question, minus the normal protocol as to curing dry rock, you wouldn’t happen to know anything that could help speed up the curing process ?

I'm unfamiliar with any products which will speed up the dry rock curing process.

Learn to be patient and things will go well for you in the hobby.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back