New to the Hobby

ce303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I'm thinking of getting a tank, and I would like your advice on what I might need or should look for. I had a fresh water tank for more than 10 years and now am looking to get a reef tank. I think I want something between a 65 and 90 gallon tank, a sump and I think I want miracle mud in it. Any help or suggestions would help. Thanks.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to the forum. I think many would advise you to go as big as you can although either size you've listed would be a good start. You'll need good lighting, live rock, test kits (especially for the cycle to start off with - ammonia, nitrite, nitrate), a way to measure your salt (hydrometers work but are not as reliable and precise as a refractometer), and you want to start off using RO/DI water - you can get your own unit or purchase it but high quality water is a must in this hobby. I think that's a good start on the basics :)

You want to read and read and then read some more. You also need to be patient on the salt side - things don't happen fast in this hobby and if you go in with that mindset it will really help.

I'm excited for you! this hobby is so rewarding and very addictive. Also, I should have said in the first paragraph - make sure you have $$$ :)

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey good to see you! Lots of good people and info here. Very helpful place. Especially Fishroomlady. Seems she's here all the time. lol :wave:

JennFried

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! I am just starting out myself and planning my future system :) I am looking at a 60 gal rimless w/ a 20 sump (if it fits). Are you looking to do a cube or a rectangle? I like the looks of the cubes, and it fits much better in the space I have available, but doesn't leave a large footprint for a decent sump. I have been looking at some in-sump skimmers (everyone says to get one that is listed for double your tank size), LED lights, live rock (drs foster smith is cheaper than my LFS even WITH shipping), live sand, refractometer, test kits, return pump, wave maker, two heaters, and lots of misc stuff... like buckets, timers, power strips, etc. I am holding off on the auto-controller and rodi unit until my tank is more established. I'm sure I'm missing some stuff... so I'll follow this thread to see if any other genius ideas pop up. Hoping to start buying pieces and parts soon during the holiday sales! Good luck on your future tank!

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I'm thinking of getting a tank, and I would like your advice on what I might need or should look for. I had a fresh water tank for more than 10 years and now am looking to get a reef tank. I think I want something between a 65 and 90 gallon tank, a sump and I think I want miracle mud in it. Any help or suggestions would help. Thanks.

Hey there! I am just starting out myself and planning my future system :) I am looking at a 60 gal rimless w/ a 20 sump (if it fits). Are you looking to do a cube or a rectangle? I like the looks of the cubes, and it fits much better in the space I have available, but doesn't leave a large footprint for a decent sump. I have been looking at some in-sump skimmers (everyone says to get one that is listed for double your tank size), LED lights, live rock (drs foster smith is cheaper than my LFS even WITH shipping), live sand, refractometer, test kits, return pump, wave maker, two heaters, and lots of misc stuff... like buckets, timers, power strips, etc. I am holding off on the auto-controller and rodi unit until my tank is more established. I'm sure I'm missing some stuff... so I'll follow this thread to see if any other genius ideas pop up. Hoping to start buying pieces and parts soon during the holiday sales! Good luck on your future tank!

Welcome to R2R!!!! Hope you guys are in for the ride of your life time with this hobby...LOL
Basic Check List to get your system going:

1. Tank- As said before the "bigger the better." The reason that they say this is because you have less fluctuation with your water parameters. Pretty much gives you more leeway if something is not perfect in your system

2. Skimmer- It is important to get the appropriate sized skimmer for the size tank you have and the livestock you intend to keep. Too small will keep you water dirty and full of left over nutrients and too big will keep your water too clean. A good rule of thumb is to purchase something that is rated for double the size of your system.

3. Substrate- Crushed coral (aragonite) is the way to go- Your sand bed is important in the filtration of your system. You want at least 1.5-2 inches of sand on the bed (other people say much more but I am saying what i know best). Just remember try not to get the ultra fine stuff. Although it looks nice, it tends to trap nutrients and causes cyano bacteria and starts to look nasty after a while.

4. Lighting- The popular lighting right now is LEDs. There are many different types but it is costly to get the higher end stuff that gives better color. Also if the LEDs are not done correctly it is easy to burn and bleach your corals. A good lighting to start with is T5s. You get great color out of your corals and you can change out the bulbs to give your tank different appearance in color (warm white light to cool blue). One of the most popular T5 fixtures that is out there is the ATI brand. It is a little more costly but performs great. Personally when I was running T5s i preferred the Aquatic Life T5 fixtures. They are more cost effective and have just one cord with a built in timer so you can program your lighting right from the fixture. It also comes with LED moonlights.

5. Flow- Flow is very important in your system. Not only is it for stirring up everything on not letting fish poo or food settle out on the sand bad that make your system dirty, it is also how you will carry oxygen in your system. The mixture of air and water is what oxygenates your water for its inhabitants. There are many different options out there for flow. I would recommend for starting some Korallia pumps for flow. They are inexpensive and work well. You can also get the upgraded switch that goes with them to alternate the on/ off on multiple pumps to give you back and forth flow. This is purely based on your budget. There are many options out there but I wouldn't recommend the most expensive stuff in the market if you are just starting out.

6. Rock- DO NOT GET THE FAKE STUFF!!!- Go with real live rock. Although the fake stuff looks great and has great color it could start to cause problems in the future. Again I am speaking from experience. Go with real live rock. It will start to get the nice purple coraline algae when your tank is more established.

7. Salt- Choose a salt that fits your budget. There are so many mixed reviews on salt it is crazy. A good salt to start with would be Red Sea Coral Pro if you plan on keeping corals in your system.

8. Refractometer- As stated above, the float types are not the most accurate. Going with an refractometer is the best way to go. Just learn how to use it properly and know how to calibrate it.

9. Water- Be sure that you are using a good quality RO water. This is very important. Poor water quality will affect your corals and livestock in your system.

10. Be patient- With salt water tanks you need to be patient. Do not stock you tank too fast. Just make sure you go through the cycle process before you start adding live stock. I actually did the frozen shrimp method. Get a couple of pieces of shrimp and throw them in a net into the tank. Just let it sit. The rotting shrimp will create ammonia which in return will help feed the benificial bacteria that your system needs to thrive. Things to not happen over night. This is supposed to fun hobby, not something that you are supposed to get stressed about.

11. Read- You have chosen the right forum to go to. There are a lot of helpful hobbyist in this forum that are always here to help. Trust me if you run into something wrong or need help with something you would not be the first one to have that problem. Look in the search tab or ask a question. Someone will always be there to help you out.

Last edited:

JennFried

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!! Hope you guys are in for the ride of your life time with this hobby...LOL
Basic Check List to get your system going:

3. Substrate- Crushed coral (aragonite) is the way to go- Your sand bed is important in the filtration of your system. You want at least 1.5-2 inches of sand on the bed (other people say much more but I am saying what i know best). Just remember try not to get the ultra fine stuff. Although it looks nice, it tends to trap nutrients and causes cyano bacteria and starts to look nasty after a while.

Thanks for all the info! You think aragonite is better/easier than a live sand? What about mixing aragonite with some live sand from an established tank of my friend's to try and decrease the cycle time? I was thinking of going with a black sand, but haven't yet finalized my stocking so everything can still change.

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info! You think aragonite is better/easier than a live sand? What about mixing aragonite with some live sand from an established tank of my friend's to try and decrease the cycle time? I was thinking of going with a black sand, but haven't yet finalized my stocking so everything can still change.

You can mix a bag of live sand with the aragonite...I would just do the raw shrimp method and add some Brightwells microbacter7. Your tank will cycle quickly. All the live sand is sand with bacteria added.

Last edited:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that list, but I disagree with the substrate and rock. I feel bare bottom is the way to go and I love my vidarock ceramic liverock. As long as they keep making it that is what I will use in my systems.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live sand costs a lot more than aragonite and after you finish your cycle the aragonite will be live sand. As for black sand it looks cool but will not have the buffering ability that aragonite does. and Welcome to R2R!

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back