New To the Hobby.

PrevieAriz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband has 6 fresh water tanks and gifted me with a 75gallon. I, being obstinate, decided I had to have a salt water tank! We have a skimmer and a canister filter. We started the tank in Mid-October 2019 and let it run for about 1 month before I started adding critters. Without doing any research, I started with a 2 pairs of clowns, 1 BTA and 1 long tentacle anemone. I added hermit crabs, 4 snails, 2 cleaner shrimp, 6 PJ cardinals, a lawnmower blenny, and an arc-eye hawkfish. Everyone did great! I loved my anemones so much, I added a purple tip (yeah, found out after they won't host anything, just big and pretty). Just recently my white clowns started bullying my black pair and forcing them uo in a corner behind my skimmer so now I have a small 13.5 gallon nano tank for them. Now, I research EVERYTHING and I was shocked to find out that my anemones should not be doing as well as they are! lol. I know nothing is 100% but my tank was only up for about 1 1/2 months before I added them. I check my water once a week and everything is STABLE. I have to feed at least every other day and sometimes more often because my hawkfish does get aggressive with the smaller cardinals. I saw him grab one and shake it around like a dog the other day! Wow.

OP
OP
PrevieAriz

PrevieAriz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband has 6 fresh water tanks and gifted me with a 75gallon. I, being obstinate, decided I had to have a salt water tank! We have a skimmer and a canister filter. We started the tank in Mid-October 2019 and let it run for about 1 month before I started adding critters. Without doing any research, I started with a 2 pairs of clowns, 1 BTA and 1 long tentacle anemone. I added hermit crabs, 4 snails, 2 cleaner shrimp, 6 PJ cardinals, a lawnmower blenny, and an arc-eye hawkfish. Everyone did great! I loved my anemones so much, I added a purple tip (yeah, found out after they won't host anything, just big and pretty). Just recently my white clowns started bullying my black pair and forcing them uo in a corner behind my skimmer so now I have a small 13.5 gallon nano tank for them. Now, I research EVERYTHING and I was shocked to find out that my anemones should not be doing as well as they are! lol. I know nothing is 100% but my tank was only up for about 1 1/2 months before I added them. I check my water once a week and everything is STABLE. I have to feed at least every other day and sometimes more often because my hawkfish does get aggressive with the smaller cardinals. I saw him grab one and shake it around like a dog the other day! Wow.

All that being said, I plan to get another BTA for the nano tank and I woudl also like to add corals to both. What are some of the best corals to consider?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I didn't see any fish that would cause you problems with coral although the BTA might.

What I did at first was to get just a few corals for a month to see if my system could support them. Get a couple inexpensive of the type you like and see how it goes.

Good luck

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C4A67905-55F5-4506-A48D-1ECF0DCE4B64.gif

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
d7a459j-3968d5c1-9aec-46e4-953f-63d1fd3790ef.gif

Welcome to the family! Great to have you with us. I'd love to see some pictures. FW tanks too. I have 4 FW tanks along with the reef, so I'm always interested in what others are doing.

OP
OP
PrevieAriz

PrevieAriz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my nanotank. Still pretty bare but this is only day 2. I should have waited longer but my poor black clowns were getting so bullied! It is a fluval sea evo 13.5 with the built in skimmer and filter on the side. I did not get the fluval skimmer because it had such had reviews. I have the octo classic ns-80 skimmer.

1577911519975804986557.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 42 45.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 30 32.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back