New Wrasse in QT with a new spot

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this Red Fin Fairy Wrasse (new from LFS)into QT and was getting ready to start the meds and I saw this. This is not a typical ich looking spot and it is not raised either. Any ideas? Should I start copper or do GC first?
844BC57F-247C-4401-A53D-0633B44C20FE.jpeg

173307C9-DDCA-4C09-8AAB-F5BA5DBD6DDF.jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes wrasses shed/scrap off scales. A bath in methylene blue or Ruby Reef Rally usually helps. You can also add feeding with Metro + Focus to insure internal infections if any are addressed if needed.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep an eye on the spot to see what it does. GC can lower appetite but usually will not. I always get them through copper first and then move to GC post copper.

OP
OP
Frtdrmrose7

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found two other spots on the same side that are not white in color but obviously a small defect. He has started a flashing type maneuver on that side and shaking his body. I don’t believe it is ich but rather flukes. I’m going to start with GC tonight in the tank. Btw he is still eating like a pig. I did see him poop and it was white but not stringy, either way I have Metro for that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frtdrmrose7

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 hours after introduction and the first dose of GC, the Red Fin Fairy and Yellow and Purple Wrasse are out swimming and had a nice bowl of mysis for breakfast which they both sucked down pretty quick! Keeping my fingers crossed!!

76C39CBE-B8D3-4D5E-9741-C857D7D31C79.jpeg

Last edited:

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 hours after introduction and the first dose of GC, the Red Fin Fairy and Yellow and Purple Wrasse are out swimming and had a nice bowl of mysis for breakfast which they both sucked down pretty quick! Keeping my fingers crossed!!

76C39CBE-B8D3-4D5E-9741-C857D7D31C79.jpeg

Nice Yellow and Purple Wrasse! Glad to hear there is some improvement. IMO there isn't anything better than "that" first morning after a medication kicks in and the fish eats and is out swimming like they are living their best life. Great feeling.

OP
OP
Frtdrmrose7

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I’ve read a few posts about GC and dosing, is it best with Wrasses to follow the directions and do a second dose at 48 hours or wait until day 5? If I should wait until day 5 should I run carbon and do a WC at 48 hours with the first dose? I have another 24 hours until I hit the 48 hour mark with the first dose. Both fish are swimming and eating well and doing great now.

@HotRocks @4FordFamily @Humblefish

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I’ve read a few posts about GC and dosing, is it best with Wrasses to follow the directions and do a second dose at 48 hours or wait until day 5? If I should wait until day 5 should I run carbon and do a WC at 48 hours with the first dose? I have another 24 hours until I hit the 48 hour mark with the first dose. Both fish are swimming and eating well and doing great now.

I do 5-6 days apart and 25% WC sometime inbeteeen.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever think about soaking the food in GC to treat internal parasites/worms?

OP
OP
Frtdrmrose7

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever think about soaking the food in GC to treat internal parasites/worms?

Yes, I just have to get the dosing amount per cube of frozen. I already have Focus and Garlic guard to help with the taste. The Red Fin had a normal looking poop today but yesterday it was white (not stringy). I will start that in between GC doses.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm pulling for you! I just put an pintail wrasse in qt today and haven't yet decided whether to do GC or CP first. So far no lesions or behavioral clues. We'll see if it eats tomorrow. :)

If your fish won't eat the food with Focus/GC, they might go for Focus/Metro instead.

OP
OP
Frtdrmrose7

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
\

Oh man, I'm pulling for you! I just put an pintail wrasse in qt today and haven't yet decided whether to do GC or CP first. So far no lesions or behavioral clues. We'll see if it eats tomorrow. :)

The yellow and purple wrasse went into the QT like a champ. The Red Fin looked half dead but I was able to get him to eat Mysis almost immediately. My Red Fin is very fragile it seems so I’m trying to be very careful with the meds.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do initial dose. 25% WC at 48hrs. Follow up with second dose 6 days after initial dose.

OP
OP
Frtdrmrose7

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do initial dose. 25% WC at 48hrs. Follow up with second dose 6 days after initial dose.

What about dosing for food to deal with any internal parasites? I have focus to bind and Garli Guard for taste.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back