Newbie here

RICK2REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone !. So I decided to buy my family and I a 32g biocube setup. i wanted your guys input on the necessities that i should get for it. im planning on puting a wave maker in and would like to beef up the filteration system. the tank only came with a top filter but the lower tiers are empty. possibly a skimmer.... heard i dont need it and heard i do.. that i should get it depending on how often i change the water. also anyone that has this set up, what are yalls time schedule set up on this? here is the tank so far
Resized_20210201_071748.jpeg
Resized_20210201_072016.jpeg
Resized_20210201_072037.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been setup? Seems pretty new with having a couple fish already. What are your goals for the tank? Fish only? Mixed reef? Sps dominant? Need some direction to really determine the best setup.

OP
OP
RICK2REEF

RICK2REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been setup? Seems pretty new with having a couple fish already. What are your goals for the tank? Fish only? Mixed reef? Sps dominant? Need some direction to really determine the best setup.
jekyl...hey it is pretty new. couple weeks. i know its soon.. the store said they would be ok and said that in front of my family lol so we came home with them. they said as long as i have the live rock, live sand and they gave me some stuff to put in( cant remember the name)they would be good. nothing else is going in for a while. i just want a simple tank. the clowns, an anemone, maybe one other fish, cleaner crews like snails and what not... possibly beginner coral down the road.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish stores will always tell you what you want to hear. Keep a close eye on your ammonia and keep up on water changes. Don't add any more fish for at least a month or 3. Wait on the anemone for at least a year. They are fickle jerks. You'll also need decent flow and lighting for the anemone. What type of lighting do you have now? 1 kessil or comparable should be enough. Skimmers are nice but don't have to be step 1. Worry about lighting and getting a little flow going to prepare for corals.

Specific Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jekyl...hey it is pretty new. couple weeks. i know its soon.. the store said they would be ok and said that in front of my family lol so we came home with them. they said as long as i have the live rock, live sand and they gave me some stuff to put in( cant remember the name)they would be good. nothing else is going in for a while. i just want a simple tank. the clowns, an anemone, maybe one other fish, cleaner crews like snails and what not... possibly beginner coral down the road.
That rock is dry rock. Meaning it has no nitrifying bacteria. Live rock is your biological filtration. Looks like you’re doing a fish cycle.

Reefer825

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Welcome! I too have a BioCube 32. I recommend the intank media basket as well as their refugium basket if you wanted to have a refugium. I have mine setup that way and it's been great! I wasn't a fan of the stock led light so I removed the lid and added a prime 16HD led light and a Auqamaxx hob 1.5 skimmer. Best of luck to you and your BioCube!

Attachments

• 20210128_180151.jpg
    20210128_180151.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210127_000421.jpg
    20210127_000421.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
RICK2REEF

RICK2REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish stores will always tell you what you want to hear. Keep a close eye on your ammonia and keep up on water changes. Don't add any more fish for at least a month or 3. Wait on the anemone for at least a year. They are fickle jerks. You'll also need decent flow and lighting for the anemone. What type of lighting do you have now? 1 kessil or comparable should be enough. Skimmers are nice but don't have to be step 1. Worry about lighting and getting a little flow going to prepare for corals.
Just the led lighting that the tank came with. ya i told the family no more until the tank is cycled

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back