Next steps after first fish?

Deadlocked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, so i got my first fish about a week ago. Now im wondering what to do next. I know i have to wait about a month before adding another fish, but when do i add coral? Should i start testing for other things besides ph, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

There's a very light coating of brown algae on some of my rocks. When should i expect an algae bloom if at all? Sorry for all the questions thanks in advance.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brown film are diatoms. They go away eventually without intervention but make sure you use RODI water to keep silica from getting introduced to the tank. High silica levels make it difficult to control diatoms. You see green algae soon and then probably a little red slime.

Start testing alkalinity and calcium, and keep them stable before and after you add coral. I think a month or two after cycling is about right for adding a first coral.

What types of coral are you looking at adding?

OP
OP
D

Deadlocked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brown film are diatoms. They go away eventually without intervention but make sure you use RODI water to keep silica from getting introduced to the tank. High silica levels make it difficult to control diatoms. You see green algae soon and then probably a little red slime.

Start testing alkalinity and calcium, and keep them stable before and after you add coral. I think a month or two after cycling is about right for adding a first coral.

What types of coral are you looking at adding?
I only use RODI water so I'm good on that. I didn't know about diatoms im gonna look that up.

What test kit would you recommend for testing alkalinity/calcium? And what do you use to dose your tank with those?

Im going to start with zoas. I have a biocube so i know my options are limited, though i would like to get bubble coral and a couple other LPS if everything goes well.

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reef Foundation Pro Multi Test Kit is my favorite test kit and one of the best rated on BRS.​

I buy almost all my supplies from saltwateraquarium.com , if you use this link below you get can get a coupon and I get a coupon as well:

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use RODI water so I'm good on that. I didn't know about diatoms im gonna look that up.

What test kit would you recommend for testing alkalinity/calcium? And what do you use to dose your tank with those?

Im going to start with zoas. I have a biocube so i know my options are limited, though i would like to get bubble coral and a couple other LPS if everything goes well.
I use Red Sea Foundation Pro for alk and Ca. The Mg test in this kit is useless but the others are accurate when used correctly.

For dosing I run ATI Essentials Pro with a DOS DDR combo. It keeps everything stable and simple. Far more fool proof than manual dosing. You shouldn't have to dose much if anything until you get some stoneys growing. I don't keep zoas but I don't think they will deplete your calcium and alkalinity like a stoneys or coralline.

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CUC!
Steal Your Girl Costume GIF

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back