Nick's 360 Gallons Reef Tank with Angels

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys
Sorry for the lack of update. I thought I have posted that I’ve moved and the tank has been taken down and sold last Fall. I could not make the 72”x48” footprint work in the new house. With a 10 month old at the time of moving, i did not want to deal with the tank. I sold off all the fish, most corals and sent the two giganteas to a good friend tank(they’re clobbered up his tank right now lol) and a couple frags. I kept all the equipment because I knew I’ll be back.

My reefless life did not last very long. We moved into the new house in late September and by Christmas time, I was already pressuring wash the rocks and cure them in a Rubbermaid bin.
In February, I’ve made an order of a new tank through Miracle and a new sump from Advanced Acrylics. The new tank is 84”x34”x28” and the sump is 60”x20”x18”.
The tank and sump were supposed to be 6-8 weeks lead time. Then came Covid19....and I’m still sitting here without the tank or the sump.
However, due to the lockdown and straight up boredom, I’ve acquired a Waterbox frag tank and set it up to get stuff going.

Here’s the rocks being pressured washed in December.

Ok ignore my previous message! YAY for the new reef!!

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up setting up everything this past month. The Skimmer, GFO and Carbon, CaRx, and UV. Basically all the stuff I was running before.
F181FCB4-9689-4FEC-8C9F-97C890A05E90.jpeg.jpg

Picked up a WaterBox frag from a friend and got some stuff going while I wati for the main tank to arrive and set up. I figure it wont be end of the year. I'll have some time to grow out some stuff and let the system mature. My goal is to essentially add "more water" to the system.
E1650FDA-F54A-421B-9614-A04948530D81.jpeg.jpg

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Miracle sent me the completed new tank two weeks ago. Not sure what's the hold up on shipping but I'm really sick of calling them and Advanced Acrylics for update during this entire 5 months of waiting. I understand the current situation out there.
I haven't seen the invoice sent out so I'll keep myself busy with the temporary tank for now.
C9CA466B-F484-4414-AA94-6F111485544A.jpeg.jpg

E7926DC6-9095-42B6-8501-03BBA185A15C.jpeg.jpg

I even got the light fixture all ready to go. Geisemann Stellar with Radion G5.
1529FE1D-6B0E-417E-953D-51F70CCECBFE.jpeg.jpg

Zuma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Your prior tank was amazing and I really dig the Maui and the surrounding islands inspired aquascape. I'm sure your new tank will be equally as great.

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have a couple questions regarding your old system/practices
1. Did the Sohal tang bother any other fish. I know they can get really aggressive. I would love to add one but I have an interuptus, bandit, goldflake and some other tangs. Would hate for the Sohal to terrorize them.

2. You mentioned having a good source for fish, where did you get your higher end fish as well as the regals.

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow @this is me what a beautiful tank !!! So sad to se it have to be broken down, but totally understand. Cant wait to see the new build come along , I am sure its going to be just as amazing as your last build!

Pablo reefcabar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there your previous build is inspiring . Although my nuvo 150int build is half the size I have some of the dimensional challenges presented. With a 48 x 36 tank.
I am planning on a giesemann Infiniti or an 8 bulb ATI Fixture to light the tank but i am concerned with coverage of the tank depth of 36" being only 20" tall I'm not worried about penetration so much as horizontal coverage and shadowing . I want to know your thoughts.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Miracle sent me the completed new tank two weeks ago. Not sure what's the hold up on shipping but I'm really sick of calling them and Advanced Acrylics for update during this entire 5 months of waiting. I understand the current situation out there.
I haven't seen the invoice sent out so I'll keep myself busy with the temporary tank for now.
C9CA466B-F484-4414-AA94-6F111485544A.jpeg.jpg

E7926DC6-9095-42B6-8501-03BBA185A15C.jpeg.jpg

I even got the light fixture all ready to go. Geisemann Stellar with Radion G5.
1529FE1D-6B0E-417E-953D-51F70CCECBFE.jpeg.jpg

I see you went with a one piece Eurobrace as well, totally worth the extra expense! You had a stunning reef previously and I'm certain this new one will be even better, tagging along!!

nornicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did i read right that you don’t quarantine? my goodness your fish look immaculate, and traditional ich fluke and velvet magnets!

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there your previous build is inspiring . Although my nuvo 150int build is half the size I have some of the dimensional challenges presented. With a 48 x 36 tank.
I am planning on a giesemann Infiniti or an 8 bulb ATI Fixture to light the tank but i am concerned with coverage of the tank depth of 36" being only 20" tall I'm not worried about penetration so much as horizontal coverage and shadowing . I want to know your thoughts.

Get a shorter fixture than the tank legth and raise it up.
Lighting and wide tank is just a game of how you plan the aquascape and how much SPS you want to have. For example, on your 36" wide tank, how much of that front to back will be aquascaped and how much SPS you'll be placing on those rocks. If you have a 6" clearance from the glass, that leaves you only 24" to really light. 8bulb T5s on a 24" is really not that far off. You can then place lower light requirement corals on the other 6" area.
I don't think you have to worry about it. With a 20" tall, with 3/4" glass on the botto, that leaves you about 19.25". With sand of about 2-3", that makes it 17". With about 1" of headroom between the waterline and the glass, it's about 16" and water that you have to penetrate. Raise the fixture. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
BUT of course, a 600$ par meter will take away all the guess work.

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you went with a one piece Eurobrace as well, totally worth the extra expense! You had a stunning reef previously and I'm certain this new one will be even better, tagging along!!

Yeahhhhh, about that...
So when Derek showed me the one piece Euro, I was all in. Didn't really matter how much the upgrade cost was. I wanted it. In my last tank, I had the eurobrace drilled at the top for for wiring powerheads and even a bulkhead return. I didn't end up using because its a 72"x48" and I was able to get the two 6255s worked the way I want without having a pump at the viewable end. So with the one peice Euro, there's no way I'd want any holes on it.
After setting up the frag tank with the lights on. The wife said, "you have to do something about the light shining into the kid's eyes." So right away, I knew she's asking the light to be covered up and that can only mean a canopy. Now, you know where I'm going with this. lol
So yeah, the upgrade to the one piece is about 900$ for this size tank and I'm going to put a canopy on it. :D
The other thing is, the tank is now 84"x34". I don't know if what I did for flow will work in a longer and narrower tank without a pump on the viewable side. Since the one-piece is tempered, I can't drill. :D

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did i read right that you don’t quarantine? my goodness your fish look immaculate, and traditional ich fluke and velvet magnets!
I'm not the best person to talk about QT. I don't think I can handle the stress myself.
I've found my way of keeping the fish from diseases and that is to run the UV full time and early on before adding a lot of fish. I spent so much money a year to feed those fish. A 50lbs bag of quahog clams last about a year. about 400 sheets of organic seaweed(although I don't know seaweed can not be organic), a couple of large container pellets and flakes, Spirulina brine, and Mysis.
In short, my approach has been feeding the fish as much as they will eat, skim hard, and run UV.

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beautiful tank!!~~ do you REGAL ANGELS pick on the LPS corals much?
I do not recommend angelfish, regardless of what type, if you love your LPS. Period.
The only LPS I have left are those Euphillias. But I'm sure if I have that tank long enough, the Emperor will find a way to destroy them.
We're all playing with fire when adding angelfish into a reef tank. But hey, it's fun right? A reef tank without any of these issues is a boring hobby.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeahhhhh, about that...
So when Derek showed me the one piece Euro, I was all in. Didn't really matter how much the upgrade cost was. I wanted it. In my last tank, I had the eurobrace drilled at the top for for wiring powerheads and even a bulkhead return. I didn't end up using because its a 72"x48" and I was able to get the two 6255s worked the way I want without having a pump at the viewable end. So with the one peice Euro, there's no way I'd want any holes on it.
After setting up the frag tank with the lights on. The wife said, "you have to do something about the light shining into the kid's eyes." So right away, I knew she's asking the light to be covered up and that can only mean a canopy. Now, you know where I'm going with this. lol
So yeah, the upgrade to the one piece is about 900$ for this size tank and I'm going to put a canopy on it. :D
The other thing is, the tank is now 84"x34". I don't know if what I did for flow will work in a longer and narrower tank without a pump on the viewable side. Since the one-piece is tempered, I can't drill. :D

I wonder if he showed you my tank to hook you lol

And hold on just a minute here, I don't see a need to 100% cover up the Eurobracing. You could do a floating canopy and have it like 6" off the glass. It would cut down a ton on the light spill depending on what lights you go with and you could still look at all that wonderfulness you paid good money for lol also with a canopy if your looking at running decent flow off your return you could run the return lines in the canopy to the far end of the tank, drop them down and angle them towards the overflow end. Or if you have a Bean Animal drain setup you could turn it into a Herbie drain and use the one outlet to feed a DC pump and plumb a couple lines through the canopy and have them drop down into the tank instead. Sort of a semi-closed loop system. It would allow for variable flow on the far end while keeping things clean looking...

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if he showed you my tank to hook you lol

And hold on just a minute here, I don't see a need to 100% cover up the Eurobracing. You could do a floating canopy and have it like 6" off the glass. It would cut down a ton on the light spill depending on what lights you go with and you could still look at all that wonderfulness you paid good money for lol also with a canopy if your looking at running decent flow off your return you could run the return lines in the canopy to the far end of the tank, drop them down and angle them towards the overflow end. Or if you have a Bean Animal drain setup you could turn it into a Herbie drain and use the one outlet to feed a DC pump and plumb a couple lines through the canopy and have them drop down into the tank instead. Sort of a semi-closed loop system. It would allow for variable flow on the far end while keeping things clean looking...

I’ll have to look into that. Thanks for the suggestion. My concern is the weight(?)
This is the image of a tank with the one piece Derek showed me. It’s a thing of beauty. How can you say no to that?
1027B40C-1FCA-4F73-9FC3-E88F7C07C48F.png

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to look into that. Thanks for the suggestion. My concern is the weight(?)
This is the image of a tank with the one piece Derek showed me. It’s a thing of beauty. How can you say no to that?
1027B40C-1FCA-4F73-9FC3-E88F7C07C48F.png

You can easily suspend the far end with aircraft cable. They even make aluminum cable and hardware for signs that looks REALLY nice and isn't crazy expensive that will hold hundreds of pounds. I used them to suspend a small sump on my last tank and I'm sure I will use them again. MBS Standoffs is the company I got them from.

Lol that just happens to be my tank and I Agree, once you look at it, it's darn hard to say no to. I will give you a solid piece of advice right off the bat. If you had it done in starphire glass like I did. Be VERY careful about what you put ontop of it while working on your tank. I was using a 4' level getting mine level and I mistakenly placed the magnetic side of the level on the glass, well I guess it had a couple of small pieces of metal stuck to it and when I slid the level over it put some scratches in the Eurobracing. Not the end of the world as overall you can't see them but just the fact I know they are there drives me bananas!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back