Nightcrawlers for Corals and Fish

Have you ever used Nightcrawlers for feeding Corals and Fish?

• Yes

Votes: 30 5.0%
  • No

Votes: 540 90.2%
  • Yucky

Votes: 29 4.8%

• Total voters

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again Paul B makes the point that white worms live for a while in saltwater. Wonder if the common red wriggler would compare ?? ponder2.gif
We are Lady's & Gents neck to neck in the poles ! all 4 votes LOL
Thanks Rev !

OP
OP
Reefs of Space

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll work on taking some pics and videos of feedings. I know I have one of live brine shrimp, but the only thing that could capture them, besides the fish, were my tube anemones. Stay tuned;Snaphappy

OP
OP
Reefs of Space

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again Paul B makes the point that white worms live for a while in saltwater. Wonder if the common red wriggler would compare ??
I'll do a timed experiment! Although I hand feed the corals and the fish eat what's theirs as soon as it hits the water.

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure gonna follow along! I have used worms for angling my whole life, and have though about using them for reefing as well, that and FW leaches and Wax worms. Just never had the guts to risk any of my inhabitants.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following as I do feed white worms to my Dt and qt the longest I have seen them survive before getting eaten for about 3 days

OP
OP
Reefs of Space

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure gonna follow along! I have used worms for angling my whole life, and have though about using them for reefing as well, that and FW leaches and Wax worms. Just never had the guts to risk any of my inhabitants.
I figured this to be the safest route since nightcrawlers don't have pinchers or jaws on their mouths.

Lukas75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I admittedly never thought to do this, but I'm intrigued. I'm wondering how some of the harder to keep wrasses would react to them. Out of curiosity what do you use as a set up? My thought is some soil in a large flower pot, but where would I put it?

OP
OP
Reefs of Space

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I admittedly never thought to do this, but I'm intrigued. I'm wondering how some of the harder to keep wrasses would react to them. Out of curiosity what do you use as a set up? My thought is some soil in a large flower pot, but where would I put it?
I used mostly peat because staright soil is too dense. That would probably work.. I keep mine in my shed so it's shaded and you have to keep it moist but not full of water. I use a plastic bin like a storage tote.

OP
OP
Reefs of Space

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep the worms in organic soil in a container on the floor next to the tank.
I feed them wheat bread soak with yogurt, coral frenzy, fish oil, nori and spiralina.
Those are some spoiled worms. I guess white worms are more high maintenance;) Have you ever fed them to any corals or anemones?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking I couldn't have an outside worm bed. (like a shady spot in a flower bed. However the mosquito truck comes thru here once in a while.I don't want that stuff in my tanks. Now a flower pot or such could be kept on the back porch or under the sink,depending on the smell.
Now Green street is well versed at keeping white worms. I really don't see the two being more or less difficult than the other.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are breaking new ground !

Not new, but has been forgotten over the years. I've been feeding earthworms occasionally for a few years now in my old nano tank. For the last year I've been feeding once a week since I have a slow feeding Callogobius hasselti that just loves them:

I just use the 'babies' from my compost heap for the fish and also the LPS/Mushrooms.

OP
OP
Reefs of Space

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking I couldn't have an outside worm bed. (like a shady spot in a flower bed. However the mosquito truck comes thru here once in a while.I don't want that stuff in my tanks. Now a flower pot or such could be kept on the back porch or under the sink,depending on the smell.
Now Green street is well versed at keeping white worms. I really don't see the two being more or less difficult than the other.
Good point.. I've seen live worms for sale in refrigerators. Maybe keep a little container in the fridge? See how long they last.

OP
OP
Reefs of Space

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not new, but has been forgotten over the years. I've been feeding earthworms occasionally for a few years now in my old nano tank. For the last year I've been feeding once a week since I have a slow feeding Callogobius hasselti that just loves them:

I just use the 'babies' from my compost heap for the fish and also the LPS/Mushrooms.

Thanks for sharing! It's good to see long term success with such an easy sustainable live food.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 150 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back