Nitrate color test.. do you see what I see?

brettdyer80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be writing down 40, but that's just me. How about this one? :p

test card.jpg
i'd be buying a new kit lol lol

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why I bought the Hanna checker, mine is always that color.
So if yours always same colour as op ,when you got hanna nitrate checker ,what reading did the hannah give you ? Was it close to the 40 ish nitrate reading from salifert ?
I'm asking as I got salifert and I always get same colour as op whether do 10% or 20% weekly wc or 20% twice a week the colour never changes lol

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I just did my first Salifert test. Testing for nitrates. Attached is the photo. I see somewhere between 25 and 50... since this is my first time using.. can people weigh in an double check whether they see the same and it’s not 50.
5F44B84C-2A18-49AD-A6EA-A0EE5F1FB6D6.jpeg
Stole your image and ran it through an aquarium app I have. I use Hanna for nitrate so I don't really use this feature of the app anymore, but still neat that they have it.

Based on the color from the image it sits closer to A then the middle, so guesstimating ~30-35 (1/3 of 25 would be 8.3, 8.3+25=33.3). Hopefully that makes sense.

Screenshot_20220211-182833.png

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you use to check your phosphates? BRS convinced me that vibrant was my best course of action to handling my GHA because it was more “natural” and “just bacteria” where as NOPOX is a harsher chemical. I’ve now read forums about vibrant could be bacteria with hidden algaecyde in it so I’m trying to discontinue use eventually and just get a better handle on my nutrients because I don’t want to rely on it permanently. I’d be worried without having an accurate test like a Hanna checker, I might create a worse problem if I went the NOPOX route.
I’m old school. Been using API since the 80s and don’t need precision. Let my tank tell me if I’m in the neighborhood.

I too was thinking of using Vibrant and have also read recently that it has an algicide. Need to go do more research. I’m not adding the latter.

Although both serve to different purposes is my understanding. NoPox provides carbon bacteria use to reduce nitrates. Vibrant provides bacteria that consume algae and this bacteria are freshwater and don’t replicate in salt. The latter what I understood.

Regardless, I’d rather aim for a balanced eco system and reduce my dependence on any additive including carbon or bacteria. Other than dosing macro elements such as alkalinity and calcium which will likely get consumed quicker than I can replenish naturally.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stole your image and ran it through an aquarium app I have. I use Hanna for nitrate so I don't really use this feature of the app anymore, but still neat that they have it.

Based on the color from the image it sits closer to A then the middle, so guesstimating ~30-35 (1/3 of 25 would be 8.3, 8.3+25=33.3). Hopefully that makes sense.

Screenshot_20220211-182833.png
Wow!!!! Thanks so much!! That’s really awesome.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m old school. Been using API since the 80s and don’t need precision. Let my tank tell me if I’m in the neighborhood.

I too was thinking of using Vibrant and have also read recently that it has an algicide. Need to go do more research. I’m not adding the latter.

Although both serve to different purposes is my understanding. NoPox provides carbon bacteria use to reduce nitrates. Vibrant provides bacteria that consume algae and this bacteria are freshwater and don’t replicate in salt. The latter what I understood.

Regardless, I’d rather aim for a balanced eco system and reduce my dependence on any additive including carbon or bacteria. Other than dosing macro elements such as alkalinity and calcium which will likely get consumed quicker than I can replenish naturally.
Agree!
So if yours always same colour as op ,when you got hanna nitrate checker ,what reading did the hannah give you ? Was it close to the 40 ish nitrate reading from salifert ?
I'm asking as I got salifert and I always get same colour as op whether do 10% or 20% weekly wc or 20% twice a week the colour never changes lol
I’m interested to have the response to this as well. I did test my 13.5 evo after and it was reading close to or at 25. I will recheck the biocube after I do the water change tonight and see if is a clear change.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you use to check your phosphates? BRS convinced me that vibrant was my best course of action to handling my GHA because it was more “natural” and “just bacteria” where as NOPOX is a harsher chemical. I’ve now read forums about vibrant could be bacteria with hidden algaecyde in it so I’m trying to discontinue use eventually and just get a better handle on my nutrients because I don’t want to rely on it permanently. I’d be worried without having an accurate test like a Hanna checker, I might create a worse problem if I went the NOPOX route.
Is vibrant keeping your algae down?

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is completely off topic but when reading the title all I can hear is that song form Germlins.... What was it... "Do You Hear What I Hear?"

Anyone else...just me?

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is vibrant keeping your algae down?
Yes... but I have been using it for awhile.. 7 weeks 1x a week and then upped it to 2x a week. After about 4 weeks of the two times a week the algae finally seems to have slowed growing so much between my manual scrubbing. And it hasn’t gotten rid of what was there that I have trouble getting to.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree!

I’m interested to have the response to this as well. I did test my 13.5 evo after and it was reading close to or at 25. I will recheck the biocube after I do the water change tonight and see if is a clear change.
Here is the test after a 10 gallon water change. Definitely and improvement. I’m seeing close to 25 now
2CD119E4-C550-4D4C-BA05-663C7C1B6717.jpeg

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate those tests. I can’t say how accurate is Hanna but get yourself one and throw that in the trash can. The only one I am waiting is Hanna magnesium.

it might be 5-2ppm drives me nuts.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 117 76.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back