Nitrate Dosing

furam28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@furam28 Long term results of your little experiment here?

Since my last post I have upgraded to a 85g tank. I also stopped Nopox (diy) dosing. My tank has remained ULN because:

1. I have been running fallow for last 2 months because of a velvet outbreak.
2. I added a Marinepure large block. I feed my corals Reef Roids 2-3 times a week, and Rod's frozen 3 times a week.
3. I reduced my sandbed to only 1 inch, and reduced my live rock in DT so I can vacuum sandbed and baste/brush rocks easily.
4. I upgraded my skimmer to one thats rated for 200g+

I will be slowly adding fishes in the next few weeks (currently they are in QT) and plan to remain ULN without carbon dosing. I was doing Nopox dosing consistently for almost 2 years and here's my take on it: Nopox / vodka dosing is good if you have a heavy bioload and your nitrates are in the 10ppm + range. Carbon dosing is very effective in quickly bringing down trates and keeping them low. The cons of carbon dosing is that because of the huge swings in bacterial population in your tank, your tank is on the edge. Nitrates and phosphates can get depleted too rapidly and harm corals (for example if you are out of town and change your feeding regimen for a few days). Also, the large bacterial load consumes a lot of oxygen and my tank was consistently showing low pH (8.1 max during day and close to 7.6 at night). Since I stopped nopox my ph swings between 8 and 8.3. If for any reason you lose power, your fishes can die in a matter of hours in a nopox tank because the bacteria consumes all the oxygen really fast. I lost several wrasses during a move once while transferring them in a bucket with 3g of tank water and airstone in a matter of 2-3 hours. Thats how oxygen-depleted your tank can get when you carbon-dose. IMO thats very risky, especially because we overlook oxygen concentration and its effect on coral health, and rarely test oxygen levels. Finally, nitrate or amino acid dosing is risky in a carbon-dosed tank because the bacteria can consume the nitrate and phosphate too fast and deplete your phosphate to dangerously low levels.

I still test nitrate and phosphate regularly (twice a week) and dose nitrate as needed. So far my corals have been looking great and I intend to stay ULN without carbon-dosing. I'll see how addition of fishes work out.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try looking up the Redfield ratio, there are some pretty good write ups about it out there. In short around 16:1 but with everything, there are lots of variables.
Yeah I've looked into the redfield ratio quite a bit as well. I'm just not sure how applicable it is to our systems as others have gone into detail about. If I divide my NO3 by 16 that would lead me to a whopping 3ppm :oops:. If I divide arbitrarily by 150 then it still would be .3ppm which is very high to me. Do you think I could be truly limited at a level of .03ppm PO4? I finally found my checker so I'll dust if off and test both tanks. I guess worst case is I could dose a little PO4 and see if it gets consumed and/or if NO3 drops any...

furam28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I've looked into the redfield ratio quite a bit as well. I'm just not sure how applicable it is to our systems as others have gone into detail about. If I divide my NO3 by 16 that would lead me to a whopping 3ppm :oops:. If I divide arbitrarily by 150 then it still would be .3ppm which is very high to me. Do you think I could be truly limited at a level of .03ppm PO4? I finally found my checker so I'll dust if off and test both tanks. I guess worst case is I could dose a little PO4 and see if it gets consumed and/or if NO3 drops any...

Do you mean your nitrate is at 50ppm. Thats pretty high.

Are you running GFO or dose amino, reef energy or similar zeo products? That will explain why your nitrate/phosphate ratio is not at redfield.

Bayinaung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If your nitrates are at 50 and P04 is at 0.03 you may be limited in carbon and PO4.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean your nitrate is at 50ppm. Thats pretty high.

Are you running GFO or dose amino, reef energy or similar zeo products? That will explain why your nitrate/phosphate ratio is not at redfield.
Agreed yeah nitrate is at 50ppm. It's been something I've been battling for some time. Only thing I'm running is Aquaforest Probio S and -NP Pro with Siporax.

If your nitrates are at 50 and P04 is at 0.03 you may be limited in carbon and PO4.
Could very well be and certainly you would expect that to be the more likely scenario. I am dosing a carbon source with Aquaforest -NP Pro but I am conservative with my dosing. I'm going to retest tomorrow to confirm PO4 is in line.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%

Back