OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would explain it. Oh gee, that means you are probably really burning the fish. If you can get someone else to hold them, even the LFS, that would be what I would do. Seachem suggested I put a pinch of fish food every day. I did this for two weeks with no fish in the tank.

On the RO DI water, suggest you consider a system to save money in the long run. I have a 29 gal and recently bought a Dual Reef/Drinking water system. Check out Bulk Reef Supply, Buckeye Hydro, AirWaterIce, Spectrapure etc. I ended up with AirWaterIce because they were a reasonable price and had a lifetime warranty. But you don't have to buy the dual system. I just wanted more bang for the buck. The instructions need improvement!
You can also get an Buddie RO DI but the cartridges are not standard and it has slower output and more waste water.
I have no where to keep my fish for now and my closest LFS is an hour away. I’ll just do what I can this week to get things down to normal. I’m lucky I caught it early so I can act on it, mixing water now for water change in morning. Bio spira will go in with that new water change. Right now my fish are acting normal, eating fine, no signs of stress, and no brown gills :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have 2 issues. Ammonia and nitrite. The biggest concern in the ammonia and I would add the Seachem Prime ASAP. That will detoxify the ammonia but still allow it to be processed by the bacteria. I wouldn't wait for a water change, although I would retreat after the water change.
As for nitrite, that isn't much of a problem in a saltwater tank. The same gill receptors that absorb nitrite from the water prefer to absorb chlorides. The salt (sodium chloride) helps protect our marine fish from nitrites. If nitrites get high enough then the fish can still be poisoned but it takes more than a few ppm in the water for that to occur.

Good luck!

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have 2 issues. Ammonia and nitrite. The biggest concern in the ammonia and I would add the Seachem Prime ASAP. That will detoxify the ammonia but still allow it to be processed by the bacteria. I wouldn't wait for a water change, although I would retreat after the water change.
As for nitrite, that isn't much of a problem in a saltwater tank. The same gill receptors that absorb nitrite from the water prefer to absorb chlorides. The salt (sodium chloride) helps protect our marine fish from nitrites. If nitrites get high enough then the fish can still be poisoned but it takes more than a few ppm in the water for that to occur.

Good luck!
I did a 10 gallon water change this morning and added some prime to each 5 gallon bucket of new water. I also added a bottle of bio spira to tank after water change. I’m using RO water but still added the prime as a precaution since I’m having small issues right now!

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did a 10 gallon water change this morning and added some prime to each 5 gallon bucket of new water. I also added a bottle of bio spira to tank after water change. I’m using RO water but still added the prime as a precaution since I’m having small issues right now!
you can 5x the prime safely

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main function for Prime in this application is to detoxify the ammonia and nitrite. It will also dechlorinate water. I would advise dosing the recommended amount to your tank based on tank size and add it again in 3 days. By that time the Biospira should have done its thing.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 22 45.8%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back