No Disease ... Yet ... But Concerned With New Quoyi Parrotfish

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was on my way from one place to another three days ago or so, and stopped in to a LFS in the neighborhood. The lad in the SW department saw me looking into the first six or so tanks, and asked if there was anything in particular that I was looking for. Knowing that he'd probably look at me like I was crazy, as most of the other LFS employees have when I mentioned my latest obsession, I said "There's probably only one fish that could draw my wallet out of my pocket at the moment; Quoy's parrotfish."

The lad smiled ... and gestured to tank #7.

Brought the fish home, drip and temperature acclimated. Slid him into a 75 gallon QT, which he shares with a couple of Aqua-Clear 110s, a powerhead, several sorts of PVC fittings and several million nitrifying bacteria, along with a small liverock that's got a small bundle of Caulerpa and Chaetomorpha rubberbanded to it. He tried to bore through the bottom of the tank for a moment, then slid into a PVC fitting group. Through the next day, I saw him come out once - he acted like a groundhog on a sunny February 2nd morning; took a look around and dove right back into his tube.

Lighting in the tank is provided by "invisible LED" fixtures. For the most part, I've had one of the two fixtures turned on, the other off, darkening one end of the tank. For the most part, the light that has been on has been using the blue "moonlights" only. I also covered the tank yesterday, save for a small strip in the front, to give this shy fellow some privacy. (I know he was out and about, and actively feeding in the store - I could see the scrape-marks left by his beak on the liverock.)

I've offered small feedings of mixed frozen foods (LRS, Rod's, Mysis, Brine, Angelfish formula...) NLS and Ocean Nutrition pellets, even flake, with and without garlic extract. He sits in that pipe, breathing slowly and rhythmically, as though he was fast asleep. If the direction his tail stuck out the end of the pipe didn't change a couple of times a day, I'd be distraught - as it is, I'm becoming deeply concerned.

Just to throw one more wrinkle on it, there was something ... unpleasant ... in his drip bucket. Whitish. Stringy / bunchy. Not sure whether it was parasite-class poop, but I understand internal parasites aren't uncommon with parrotfish, so expect to treat with Metro, as well as Prazi-Pro and chelated copper.

Options as I see them:
- Continue on course, and hope the fish emerges into the twilight quiet of the blue-half-lit QT.
- Crank up the lights, with the understanding that this is a daytime, shallow-water fish, and hope it encourages exploration.
- Add a trio of Talbot's damsels or other small, inoffensive fish as "dither" to help offer confidence that predators (and nets) aren't lurking. (I'd like to add a trio of Talbot's to my 220 when it's up & running, so they'd have a home.)
- Begin Metro and / or Prazi-Pro treatment in the water, 'cause he's just not out picking up snacks.

Any thoughts? I've never had a fish hide this long . . .

~Bruce

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Captc07!

This guy looks like everything I'd hoped for - good body weight and no outward sign of the usual diseases, beautiful colors and patterns - so I'm just hoping to get over this little obstacle soon!

~Bruce

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse can hide awhile, I like the light idea, and also it probably wouldn't hurt to add metro to food with focus to be safe-- I would actually recommend this on all wrasse, to be honest.

Pics of the fish? :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Begin Metro and / or Prazi-Pro treatment in the water, 'cause he's just not out picking up snacks.

^^ This. Since you saw something white & stringy in his drip bucket, I would assume worms and treat with prazi + metro. API General Cure contains both medications unless you already have them both as standalones.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like a picture too, just because. :) I'd say it's normal for him to be hiding and I also like the light idea. I agree with humble as well.... general cure would be a good course for you to take. Two birds, one stone. I would suggest a live food to get him to maybe start eating.

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Everyone...

I've got both Prazi and Metro, but not "General Cure". (Will have to look for that one . . . ) I'll get going on Prazi-Pro and ... oh, dear ... looks like my Prazi bottle tipped over and leaked. I think I've got one good dose left in there! ... and Metro+ immediately.

@4FordFamily - when you said you "like the light idea", were you referring to low or high light levels?

Aquarium shops 'round me generally don't seem to carry live food, save for the place I got this fellow - they have a little box of brine shrimp on the fishroom counter. woohoo. Place is an hour plus away, which seems a long way to go for brine - but might try it anyway. What about hitting up the local supermarket for clams on the half-shell?

Pics you want, is it? No photos of him hiding in a PVC pipe, but I snapped one in the bag during temperature acclimation:
20170208_235523.jpg

And one of the QT, just for a giggle:
20170210_190930.jpg

~Bruce

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent.

And thank you. (I agree!)

Plan of action then - Prazi-Pro and Metro+ tonight, the sun comes out tomorrow with full lighting from both units. (I'll leave the covers up to minimize perceived threats from outside the glass) Clam on the half-shell for - lunch, by the time I get to the market and back.

~Bruce, a tad sad, 'cause his yellowline goby swam too close to his yellow maxi-mini carpet this evening . . . (-_-)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bruce, if the water turns really cloudy after mixing Prazipro and Metro+, do a large water change immediately. I would also run an airstone or point a powerhead towards the surface for extra gas exchange.

I'm probably just being overly paranoid, but sometimes the Oxybispropanol found in Prazipro doesn't play nice with other meds. ;)

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah . . .

Using the Hikari Metro+ according to directions (one capful per ten gallons), I've only got about one good dose in that bottle as well - and it was pretty much a full bottle! Looks like I'm going to be visiting at least one LFS tomorrow. Gee, will ya look at that . . . the LFS three-quarters of the way across the state is hosting their annual "Saltwater Sunday" event tomorrow . . . and one in the opposite direction is advertising a sale on C. laboutei wrasses . . .

Thanks, @Humblefish - I've found that to be the case as well. There's a venturi powerhead blowing bubbles down the length of the tank as I write this, so ... fingers crossed.

~Bruce

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, @Humblefish - I've found that to be the case as well. There's a venturi powerhead blowing bubbles down the length of the tank as I write this, so ... fingers crossed.

9 times out of 10 it doesn't happen, or the water turns just slightly cloudy.

But then there's that 1 time I forget to say anything and ..... ;)

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome fish. These guys chew up sps to get the zooxanthelli inside right? I'm not sure what sps they like but I've heard of mashing some pellets over sps skeleton to get them eating. I could probably part with some purple monti cap or birdsnest if you think he'd eat it. Lmk Bruce. I'll probably be at shoreline at some point tomorrow.

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So will I ... (>_<)

Some parrotfish do chew up SPS, (and poop the sugar sand that makes tropical beaches!) but everything I've been able to find about the Qyoy's indicates that it grows to a much smaller size than some others, and keeps its grazing and browsing to algae on liverock - a reef-safe parrotfish at a reasonable size for a 220!

I may have a go at mashed pellets, or even gel food.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, credit where it's due...

The idea for turning the lights on came from @eatbreakfast, posting in another thread. His explanation of _why_ that should work just made a ton of sense.

~B.

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are on.

Meds are in.

Clam is in.

No more sign of movement from the PVC fittings than there was before. Off to Shoreline to see if they've got the replacement meds I need. (Not available from the local Petco - go figure.) Using a whole bottle in a single dose of a daily-dose med, not so much fun.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
End-of-day update...

Clam went untouched - though a second clam (they sell them by the dozen) dropped into Zoey's Reef was gleefully greeted by dwarf angelfish, triggerfish, gobies, shrimp ... well, you get the picture. (And now my blue-jaw looks like I do after Thanksgiving dinner!)

On a peek into the PVC fitting, the parrotfish's eyes are clear, and his gaze is casually moving to and fro. His breathing is so relaxed, so un-labored, that he appears almost to be in a coma. What I can see of his colors (The pink/orange and blue swirling on his chin & throat) look bright. Brilliant, in fact.

While I was at the shop picking up Prazi-Pro (they only had the big bottle with the big price tag ... ouch!), Metro and Focus, I decided to also bring home a trio of small (3/4"?) black-bar chromis, Chromis retrofasciata, to act as dither fish. (And to be adorable residents in the 220 - these are seriously cute fish!) They stayed at the far end of the 75 through the evening, but stayed in the open, where I'm hoping they'll give the parrot a sense of confidence that there aren't any barracudas lurking nearby.

Mixing saltwater for a water change tomorrow - and we press on . . .

~Bruce

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.3%
Back