No Electric

harleygirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you use when you have no electric to circulate the water in your aquariums. I would like to buy something to be prepared for this just in case something happens. I was told to buy an airstone but I have not found one that runs on batteries. Any advice would be great.

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vortech has a battery back up to run their power heads in case of power failures. Also you can pick up small battery powered air pumps to run an airstone. Adding a small amount of hydrogen peroxide periodicly would probably also help keep oxygen levels up

fsn77

Dad of 2 future hobbyists
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a deep cycle marine battery and a power inverter. I have a small boat, though, so I have a reason other than my reef tank to keep marine batteries around.

As for a battery powered air pump, they aren't that hard to find online from some of the bigger name aquatic supply retailers (not sure if it's ok to post the names of those companies, so I won't).

phil519

Got Rotifers?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like $10. Is it not ok to post other vendors here? Well just google "Elite Aquarium Air Pump".

How big is your tank? If it's large then using a vortech or tunze battery back-up makes sense. frankly though in winter weather like this the most important thing is keeping the heat - which means blankets to wrap and maybe even cover the tank. Friend of mine came back from vacation and found his tank "dead" because the temp had dropped below 70.

mizzoumed02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as FSN77. I've got a Marine battery and a small inverter that I use to run my power heads. I just hope I never have this problem for more than ac couple hours, because at that point then I would start worrying about water temp and other parameters.

Mantis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Florida and with Hurricane Season every year. We have to have generators, so I would use that if my electricity went out. But never really thought of that. Defienly gonna check a few things you guys mention above.

MoneyPit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the generator. I have a small one that I picked up for $120 bucks, it's big enough to power my entire tank. Luckily I haven't had to use it yet. (knock on wood)

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, as more and more money gets dumped into my tank, my interest in a generator has been quickly growing. I'm happy I haven't run into a problem yet since setting back up, but I know the day is coming. We had a ice storm here like 2 years ago where I didn't have power for over a week.

florida reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The people from fl are all to familiar with power outages for long periods of time. I'm sure the ones that get snow storms are too. I currently don't have anything to back up my tank, but I am looking at getting a generator to run the vital things such as pumps, lights, and skimmer.

raymond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost all my live stock one time when power went out for 5 days. every sence then i have had a generator as a back up. i feel alot better knowing that if the power goes out for along time again i can just plug my tank up to generator and carry on. only problem is my tank takes up all my generator plugs and there is no were to plug in my coffee pot when the power goes out lol

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a computer battery back up that I got from work for short power outages. I use a deep cycle battery and an inverter for longer outages. A buddy has a generator that I bring over to recharge the back up and deep cycle battery if power is out for a long time.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one of these with one of my Vortech's plugged into it, it will run for at least 4 hours. Any more than that I use a generator.

vec026bd-2.jpg

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a deep cycle marine battery and a power inverter. I have a small boat, though, so I have a reason other than my reef tank to keep marine batteries around.

As for a battery powered air pump, they aren't that hard to find online from some of the bigger name aquatic supply retailers (not sure if it's ok to post the names of those companies, so I won't).
when you do this do you power everythign or just powerheads right? I was thinking about doing this where exactly did you get your power inverter? What was the damage? Also how long does it last. I would want something just to run my powerheads.

Another question do i necesarily need to run my return pump or is just important to run the powerheads. thanks in advance.

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use battery operated airpumps, but have plans to get a generator sometime within the next year. If a prolonged power outage takes place in the meantime I'll just run to w.mart and get a deep cycle with an inverter:)

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the summer I lost power for more over 24hrs. After about 8hrs I borrowed a generator, I wasn't going to take any chances. I definitely believe in having one with the money we all have invested in our tanks.

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the power goes out, the obvious answer as to what to do is turn it back on. So you need a generator. I got one for like 250 for Christmas and it will run my reef plus some other stuff. Look into getting one for times when the power goes out. Better safe than sorry....

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably was already mentioned but a good deep cycle battery with a converter(both available at a well known discount chain) is a good short term answer

porky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really like these posts. Its good to know what my options would be if I ever go to a full blown reef tank.

63vette427

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a generator just for my tank. It was all part of the start up. It's an expensive hobby that you can lose money far too fast.. I know up in my area we lose power a couple times a year. It's already well paid for itself... Just a side note.. I just got my power back on from an over night storm....

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 100 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back