No mechanical filtration in reef tank?

larreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a rimless 8 gallon shallow fish tank and I am considering not using any mechanical filtration. I will rely on the biological filtration provided by the rock and sand. What are your thoughts on whether or not I should use a filter? I only plan on having a maximum of 3 fish with a few invertebrates and soft corals in the tank.
Tank that tiny doesn’t need mechanical filtration just water changes

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 gallon and 40 gallon reef running without mechanical filtration. it is my preferred method. no algae problems and my nitrates are always below 10. just vacuum ALL of the sand and dust off the rocks every week and you wont have issues.

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank that tiny doesn’t need mechanical filtration just water changes

Yes, bigger and frequent water changes are so easy in small tanks.

Also, water circulation around dead coral and rocks and the surface layers of substrate is actually mechanical filtration. Finer particles will accumulate in the dead and low flow zones and could be vacuumed out, or left to the biological "filtration" to remove. You could also use a small power filter from time to time to "polish" the water, then remove it.

King Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be adding 2 baby clown fish and a sea anemone, if I feel they are not happy I will transfer them to my 65 gallon aquarium. Clownfish are considered very territorial fish, that means they will be guarding a specific area which will be all the“ 8 gallon aquarium” which is bigger than you probably think. That means they are going to be in one specific area most of the time.

I’ve been thinking about this for around 3 months and had many people say “yes you can” and “no I can’t“ and what’s actually sad is that the hobby can have very passive-aggressive and criticizing people. If I did everything that’s considered “right” in the reef hobby, you’re still going to have people who disagree.
Do it ! These people kill fish and corals all day long and are going to fight to the death about baby clown fish in 8 gallons my clown fish barely leave their corner. Which is the same for every pair ive ever had. Just move them when they are bigger IF they look like they need to be. Lots of variables

larreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do it ! These people kill fish and corals all day long and are going to fight to the death about baby clown fish in 8 gallons my clown fish barely leave their corner. Which is the same for every pair ive ever had. Just move them when they are bigger IF they look like they need to be. Lots of variables
Well don’t listen to this guy!!

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice logic, it is okay to beat your dog because the neighbors do too. You guys are two peas in a pod.

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first the post says 3 fish invertebrates and softies 8 gallons , then common sense starts to arrive, the poster starts changing the comment , lol

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer is mechanical filtration - there is nothing biological about it.
I opened this up for conversation with a few of my friends last night, and I couldn't convince them on my stance.

This begins with my interpretation of mechanical. I look at as forcing water through filter material in an effort to remove particals. And the protein skimmer just didn't fit that definition.

I did misspeak with the word biological and meant chemical.

My thoughts were as follows, the pulling of dissolved solids out of the water via opposing surface charges didn't fit my definition of mechanical.

However, if you are to simply define mechanical filtration as a means to remove debris then we can see it being mechanical. And when I look at it that way, I tend to agree.

Although the conversation did get deep into the weeds with citing Dr Tim Hovanec , stating (paraphrasing) protein skimmers can remove bacteria, which puts it into the realm of biological.

Either way, I stand corrected.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I opened this up for conversation with a few of my friends last night, and I couldn't convince them on my stance.

This begins with my interpretation of mechanical. I look at as forcing water through filter material in an effort to remove particals. And the protein skimmer just didn't fit that definition.

I did misspeak with the word biological and meant chemical.

My thoughts were as follows, the pulling of dissolved solids out of the water via opposing surface charges didn't fit my definition of mechanical.

However, if you are to simply define mechanical filtration as a means to remove debris then we can see it being mechanical. And when I look at it that way, I tend to agree.

Although the conversation did get deep into the weeds with citing Dr Tim Hovanec , stating (paraphrasing) protein skimmers can remove bacteria, which puts it into the realm of biological.

Either way, I stand corrected.

There are several MOAs so you can really argue any of them if you want to get into the weeds. It’s not like putting a clownfish pair in a tank with 6” of water which is pretty clear cut.

King Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could add i did think about setting up a similar very simple tank. I have been looking at the 22 gallon 3ft bookshelf and wanted a pair of clowns, 1 strip light and one powerhead/wave maker and heater. Add some mushrooms/zoas and a piece of this red macro algae i have. Was even contemplating make a skinny rock wall to hide the gear. I did want the extra size to make life easier. Bookshelf aquariums look cool AF

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several MOAs so you can really argue any of them if you want to the weeds. It’s not like putting a clownfish pair in a tank with 6” of water which is pretty clear cut.
As far as putting 2 clownfish in an 8g tank. I don't have a stance on that at all. Haha

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Actually I would say no. Biological filtration is not the removal of biological material, it is the removal of ANY material, but using something living, biological, to achieve that removal. So, bacteria eating and so converting/removing stuff, plankton/copepods/amphipods, eating waste. All of that.

Just my way of looking at it. :confused:

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gas exchange, surface agitation. I used a pond pump in my almost sump / water holder 29-gallon tank until this week placed on an upside down flat bottom bowl. I had a few guppies, bags of ceramic rings, rocks and some Chato in the tank. Worked okay for nine months. Maybe place the little pump in the rear and hide it ?

Probably happens !

“So let it be written, so let it be done”

Last edited:

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 13,5 gallon. I change a filter foam pad once a week and have a cheato chamber in the center. I also purchased a surface skimmer from inTank. No sand but i did get some crushed coral. Large pieces that don't trap as much detritus. I change 3 gallons every 7-10 days and dose all4 reef daily. Tank is doing better than my 100.3 gallon at home. 2 stubby ORA clowns, yellowline goby, peppermint shrimp, tuxedo urchin and various snails. Im growing digitata, pavona, bop birdsnest, some softies and annacropora with a kessil a80 and 2 supplemental strip lights. Very low maintenance tank.

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is far too small for 3 fish, very few fish would be happy in that tank size. Always a good idea to google suggested tank sizes for fish before purchase for their health and happiness
i have never even heard of a reef tank thats only 8 gallons. what a nightmare that will be keeping stable.

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without mechanical filtration, the tank will crash one day. Detrius will build up. It's a closed system, without all the diversity and filtration power of ocean.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back