OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, its been just over two week into the process. The fish will just be starting Hypo tomorrow. I went on vacation the previous week and decided starting hypo just before I left was not a good idea. Right now the salinity in both QT tanks are just above my minimum level of 1.010 for hypo.

Before I left I actually lost my female clownfish. She decided she didn't want to physically be inside of the QT any longer and jumped out of a gap. Other than that they are all doing well. I have actually not seen any visual signs of the Ich since before I left (August 18th). The fish have no loss of appetite and are eating well. I am liking the process of very slowly bringing the salinity over the course of two weeks rather than two days as suggested practice. I feel this may help the fish adjust easier to all parameters rather than just salinity in particular.

It also seems that after the QT process is completed I will most likely be rehoming the yellow tang as well since he seems to be quite the aggressor. Unfortunately I can't replace him with the powder blue in my frag tank and have him coexist with the Achilles. That would be a beautiful display but unlikely cohabiters.

scruggyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I upgraded to my 180 back in Feb of this year I took my existing fish along with a new big yellow tang and did the whole cupramine and QT while I moved to the bigger tank.

Throughout the course of the year I have been stocking my 180. I bought from reputable sources like nicewrasse and Divers Den and a few from local reefers. I QTed all of the new fish for 6-8 weeks without issue and added to my tank. I did not do any proactive treatment with copper/hypo because I never saw any issues over the 6-8 weeks. Some of the fish had already been through copper at nicewrasse and the ones from diver den looked great.

This week I have seen a few spots on my tangs which seemed to come out of nowhere. Yellow, Hippo and lieutenant tangs. It has not been bad but it is something. All fish seem fine and are eating like pigs so I am not worried about any immediate demise. Still trying to see what is going to happen and make sure it is ich.

I am very discouraged right now and if I have to pull all 10 of my fish out I am going to sell everything and get out. After spending this whole year with my QT tank running and all the hard work I just don't have it in me to do it again. It just sucks all the fun out of it for me.

We will see - sorry to hijack your thread.

Here was a video of my tank from a few weeks ago. Just saw spots starting a few days ago right after I broke down my QT because I was not planning to add any more fish.

[video=youtube;XfWArvladHo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfWArvladHo[/video]

OP
OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I upgraded to my 180 back in Feb of this year I took my existing fish along with a new big yellow tang and did the whole cupramine and QT while I moved to the bigger tank.

Throughout the course of the year I have been stocking my 180. I bought from reputable sources like nicewrasse and Divers Den and a few from local reefers. I QTed all of the new fish for 6-8 weeks without issue and added to my tank. I did not do any proactive treatment with copper/hypo because I never saw any issues over the 6-8 weeks. Some of the fish had already been through copper at nicewrasse and the ones from diver den looked great.

This week I have seen a few spots on my tangs which seemed to come out of nowhere. Yellow, Hippo and lieutenant tangs. It has not been bad but it is something. All fish seem fine and are eating like pigs so I am not worried about any immediate demise. Still trying to see what is going to happen and make sure it is ich.

I am very discouraged right now and if I have to pull all 10 of my fish out I am going to sell everything and get out. After spending this whole year with my QT tank running and all the hard work I just don't have it in me to do it again. It just sucks all the fun out of it for me.

We will see - sorry to hijack your thread.

Here was a video of my tank from a few weeks ago. Just saw spots starting a few days ago right after I broke down my QT because I was not planning to add any more fish.

It really is frustrating. I would try to stick with it, see how the ich does in your tank with the fish and if it ends up just "going away" like some people say. The only reason I decided to go the route I am going is because I did wait several weeks and it was not getting any better in my case. I have talked to several people that claim a fish would get it for a day in their system right when introduced than "disappear". Which was the case when I first got the tomini tang a couple of years ago, he had it than it was gone the next day and never saw it since recently.

Its likely that even going through all that you could of even introduced a cyst on a newly introduced coral. It only takes one cyst. I am not sure if you QT your corals or not.

I have no experience with buying from anybody who quarantines fish. I only will trust myself so if there is any doubt its on myself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kworker

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, everything went well thus far in QT. All fish besides the female clown has made it through QT fairly easy. At this time they are on their way up in salinity and in about 1.017 Salinity. Exactly 2 weeks to go!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 60 34.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back