Non-reef water chemistry question

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flame trench of the launch pad regularly fills with water. Between rain, sea spray (50ft behind the rip rap sea wall) and the occasional launch, it’s often wet and grows algae. The conversation today with a coworker noted the water in the flame trench is quite basic (pH 8.5-9+) and they claimed the high pH was due to the algae.

1) Does this explanation have a basis in science?
2) Is there some reference I can use to read up on why this is or would not be the case.

Thanks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flame trench of the launch bad regularly fills with water. Between rain, sea spray (50ft behind the rip wrap sea wall) and the occasional launch, it’s often wet and grows algae. The conversation today with a coworker noted the water in the flame trench is quite basic (pH 8.5-9+) and they claimed the high pH was due to the algae.

1) Does this explanation have a basis in science?
2) Is there some reference I can use to read up on why this is or would not be the case.

Thanks.

Photosynthesis can raise pH, certainly, but I suspect that if you are flame blasting the ground, you are converting chemicals in the soil (or cement) to high pH versions.

For example, calcium hydroxide is made by heating calcium carbonate to blow off CO2, forming calcium oxide. The same happens for other carbonates.

Upvote 0

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 115 43.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 88 33.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.5%
Back