Nori for tangs

dghby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks, what type of Nori do you use to feed your tangs and other fish?
any good links? anything to stay away from? can I just buy the sheets from the grocery store??

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular green from grocer and red from ocean nutrition

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy the sushi nori/laver/algae from my local oriental market. I think they have stores all over...it's H-Mart....very clean and very large selection of algae. If you can find non-roasted, that's great. Otherwise roasted will still work with supposedly slightly less nutritional values. Note that the public aquariums use roasted. I tend to look for the best bang for the buck....around $7 for 50 sheets.

I found this out the hard way....read the label carefully to make sure it doesn't contain unwanted stuff....like oils and salt. I quickly grabbed a package without reading, and when I got home and opened it....covered in oil and visible salt crystals on each sheet. You want plain old algae....nothing else.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure it matters. However, I do tend to buy different brands to mix it up.

And one other thing.....do not buy Kelp. Yes, it is a seaweed, but your fish won't touch it. And I found that out the hard way as well.

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the tang. My achillies tang loves red>brown>green>purple in that order but I make him eat all 4 by rolling them all together tightly with fish flakes so he nibbles on all of it

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the tang. My achillies tang loves red>brown>green>purple in that order but I make him eat all 4 by rolling them all together tightly with fish flakes so he nibbles on all of it

Where do you find brown? Anytime I buy 'brown' it ends up really being purple.

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found all 4 at petco but I make my wife order me things I need. Perks of marrying the manager :)

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy the sushi nori/laver/algae from my local oriental market. I think they have stores all over...it's H-Mart....very clean and very large selection of algae. If you can find non-roasted, that's great. Otherwise roasted will still work with supposedly slightly less nutritional values. Note that the public aquariums use roasted. I tend to look for the best bang for the buck....around $7 for 50 sheets.

I found this out the hard way....read the label carefully to make sure it doesn't contain unwanted stuff....like oils and salt. I quickly grabbed a package without reading, and when I got home and opened it....covered in oil and visible salt crystals on each sheet. You want plain old algae....nothing else.
I get the pre cut strips. A few cents more but no hassle with cutting

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the pre cut strips. A few cents more but no hassle with cutting

Well I have a system set up after I buy oriental market nori. I have a dedicated cutting board with tape that is used to center the algae sheets. There are lines on the tape marking the centers of the algae sheet.

I now take a bunch of sheets....maybe 8 - 10 sheets....and center them off the tape. I use a straight edge and razor to cut the sheets into quarters.

These quarter sheets are then packaged into baggies.

When I'm ready to feed (I usually feed two quarter sheets each day), i take out the sheets and fold them in half and cut.

I fold it again in half and cut again along the fold line.

This folded up and cut piece of algae is put into the clip and now cut about every 1/8" into strips.

Now the tangs (and others) get bite-sized pieces of algae to eat.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice presentation @redfishbluefish and if you are pressed to time the pre-cut strips are a good alternative
51ucNPXKm%2BL._AA160_.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gosh, I just take a sheet, fold it a few times, and put it into the clip. Fish don't seem to care.

NicksMixedReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always had problems with the grazer rings. There would always be a ton left over at the end of the day

Back