Normal Starry Blenny Behavior? How much should I feed?

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a starry blenny from Dr. Reef 2 weeks ago and he's doing very well. He's about 3.5" long and eats film algae all day. He's been eating so much film algae that the rockwork is basically picked clean. He doesn't do such a great job on the glass but that's what the scraper is for.

I've been feeding him a 1" x 2.5" sheet of nori cut into strips every morning when I give my other fish TDO pellets (or mysis or brine shrimp) and add my live phyto.

He figured out the nori clip system and now he comes over and begs for food. He sits on the clip and stares at me like he's starving. Sometimes he'll bite at the clip to show me it's empty (thanks, very helpful :winking-face:).

Here's a pic of Ravioli the starry blenny on his nori clip:
Day 144 Ravioli asking for food.jpg

He's eating all of the nori I put on the clip for him but I'm worried that I'm overfeeding him. I've been clipping a pinch of of Sea Veggies flakes on there when he begs but I feel like he's bossing me around.

He has a big round belly and plenty of energy. I noticed that he sometimes scoops up sand where algae is built up and I've seen him excrete mostly sand.

Am I overfeeding him, underfeeding him, or feeding him just enough?

thecitadel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe all Starry blennys are weirdos. My first would swim around with Hermit Crabs in his mouth and drop them from the top. My current one also sits on the clips, even wraps himself in the nori. Both live in shells lol.
20230924_102319.jpg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe all Starry blennys are weirdos. My first would swim around with Hermit Crabs in his mouth and drop them from the top. My current one also sits on the clips, even wraps himself in the nori. Both live in shells lol.
20230924_102319.jpg
Oh, yes. Mine would rearrange my frags on the daily!

OP
OP
JohnNYC8

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would feed once or twice a day. It's awesome that he's got such personality, but don't let him rule the roost ;)

I had a starry blenny a few years ago that was a character too.
OK that's good to know. I'll give him a nori sheet in the morning and then try to get him to eat flakes in the afternoon.

When he's staring at me from the clip I'll muster up my best, "you're not the boss of me, blenny!"

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starry blennies are pigs.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back