Not a new build, changing to a new sump...

Chuck_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I call this tank "Chucke2.3".

Chucke1.0 was a 40 gallon toe-dip into the hobby about 12 years ago after many years of fresh water tanks. A couple pieces of live rock, two frags from a coworker, a small in-tank skimmer, a Coral Beauty and a Yellow Tang introduced me to the world of wonder and frustration that is reefing.

Fast-forward 4 years and it was time to get a real tank - Chucke2.1 - a 90 gallon package bought from a local store with a stand and a sump. Whoa. More live rock, more frags, more fish, more heartache, more fun learning the ins and outs of lighting, water parameters, flow, SPS, LPS, Inverts, reef-friendly and not-so-reef-friendly fish, water changes, ATO, more frags, more fish, repeat as necessary...

Then, about 2 years ago, our basement flooded. Not because of the tank, the home sump pump failed during an epic rainstorm. Repairs and rebuild meant moving the tank, and Chucke2.2 started a year-long existence in exile. Out-of-sight meant maintenance suffered, with predictable results. When the rebuild was done things were in such bad shape that I seriously considered shutting it all down. But, I was convinced to give it another go, and Chucke2.3 was set up back in its original spot.

But I knew that I had to do things differently. So this thread will be about the journey of Chucke2.3. I hope you enjoy, and maybe pick up an idea or two like I've been able to from many other contributors here.

Here we go!
IMG_9032.jpeg

IMG_9035.jpeg

IMG_9034.jpeg

IMG_9033.jpeg

OP
OP
C

Chuck_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chucke2.1 & 2.2 were “manual” operations - the only automation was the schedule on the R420R lights and an automated ATO system. No temperature control other than the thermostat on the heaters, occasional pH and Ca testing, water purchased from a commercial bottled water supplier in 5-gallon jugs (RO only) hauled into the basement and then hauled back upstairs when it was time to do a water change. Which was a good workout, but eventually I’d had enough.

IMG_8074.jpeg

This photo is 2.1 in July 2022, just before it was moved and became 2.2 for about a year while the basement was being rebuilt. Yes, those are 5 Finger Leather corals in the middle. They were all propagated from the one at the very top of the group, and were all originally at the bottom of the tank. They decided they didn’t like that spot so they all migrated to a different rock and moved to their present spot. But I digress…

2.2 wasn’t a happy reef - the move was very disruptive, and between that and the drop off in maintenance the toll was about 2/3 of the coral and 1/2 the fish. Including 5 of the 6 Finger Leather and the Hammer which was my very first frag when I started out.

If 2.3 was going to happen, there needed to be lots of changes…

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back