Not much on Caribsea Life Rock - what's your take?

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've scoured this forum and read up on Caribsea Life Rock and that seems disproportionately little information compared to other topics here on R2R.

Is that because not many people here use it? And if so, why not?

Is it just not appealing to a large portion of reefers?

Or is it just good enough to have no complaints but no praise?

So whats your take on Caribsea Life Rock?

I'm considering going that route.

Thoughts? Success stories? Failures?

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, I was eyeballing it but ended up with pukani instead. Pukani had lots of dead stuff on it and took a long time for the issues associated with all the dead organic material to go away. I plan on setting up a bigger tank in the next year or so and am considering life rock or stax rock.

OP
OP
Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into the Stax Rocks as well - but I've got a bandsaw, so if I really need flattened surfaces I reckon I can get that done.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used it for my 90g and like it. I haven't really had any big algae issues with it. There's a ton of little Feather dusters growing all over my rocks and the pieces in my sump have lots of sponges on the bottom. It has lost its purple color a bit. I had a layer of purple dust on the bottom of my tank after aquscaping but I also have some coralline growing on the rocks. I've noticed with some types of rock, it seems like coralline will never grow on it and I'm glad to see that that doesn't seem to be the case here. I also found the 40lb boxes pretty easy to work with and I liked the mix of shapes I got. I like the branch as well but the pieces are very uniform, which has its pros and cons. I really like the look of the new "Shapes" pieces.

One thing I don't like is that when you break the rocks in half, it's just white on the inside so it looks pretty weird and unnatural if you have the broken side facing out.

OP
OP
Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used it for my 90g and like it. I haven't really had any big algae issues with it. There's a ton of little Feather dusters growing all over my rocks and the pieces in my sump have lots of sponges on the bottom. It has lost its purple color a bit. I had a layer of purple dust on the bottom of my tank after aquscaping but I also have some coralline growing on the rocks. I've noticed with some types of rock, it seems like coralline will never grow on it and I'm glad to see that that doesn't seem to be the case here. I also found the 40lb boxes pretty easy to work with and I liked the mix of shapes I got. I like the branch as well but the pieces are very uniform, which has its pros and cons. I really like the look of the new "Shapes" pieces.

One thing I don't like is that when you break the rocks in half, it's just white on the inside so it looks pretty weird and unnatural if you have the broken side facing out.
How bad was the purple dust issue?

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 100lb life rock in my 90, I'm happy with it and would purchase again. I also have a couple of chunks of real reef. I would say the reel reef holds its colour better but feels heavier and for the extra cost IMO is not worth it. The colour on the life rock does seem to fade over time, particularly in areas exposed to the most light but it still looks good anyway and gets coverered in corralline and corals soon enough. I would recommend it as a sustainable and pest free alternative to live rock.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't really say it was an issue, just an observation. Here's a picture you can see what I mean. I didn't bother cleaning it out, I just poured my sand over it and have never noticed it since. 20160814_201731.jpg

OP
OP
Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't really say it was an issue, just an observation. Here's a picture you can see what I mean. I didn't bother cleaning it out, I just poured my sand over it and have never noticed it since. 20160814_201731.jpg
Oh, you're right, thats really not an issue. Thanks for the pic!

Rglad91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah there dosnt seem to be much out there about it as I searched and found not to much about it. But I ended up using 120lbs of it in my new 90 gallon set up, I picked up all 4 different kinds of it.
There's a few things I don't like about it but overall I'm happy.
I set it all up 2 weeks weeks ago and it's been at an ammonia spike since last Thursday when I added some Dr Tims ammonia.
First 3 pictures lights are off, last 2 the lights are on.
IMG_4834.PNG
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_4885.JPG

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what liferock brings in is the painted on nitrifiers. its a quicker cycling rock, upon rehydration, critical surface areas will take on biofilm and resulting nitrifying colonies after reamination, faster than dry rock sitting in water would take on in the same time frame.

it is not offering assorted benthic creatures and fanworms and pods, imo what we stock along with that rock is what determines benthic loading and that's why it ranges so much tank to tank. anything is better than stark white rocks, these look great.

it would take a man or a lady at least ten yrs to paint white rock that solid w real coralline, looks about the same close nff

Rglad91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know if this is off subject here but I have an update on my tank cycle with using the liferock from caribsea.

I just tested it. Using Salifert and API. My ammonia seems to be going down after the initial high spike from adding Dr Tims. The nitrite is now starting to get a high spike. And I'm now seeing a slight trace of nitrate readings. It's 2 weeks from today since initial fill up, and 1 week since I added Dr Tims. And the 2 different test kits do have complete different readings it seems but I averaged them out that's why I'm not saying any numbers with test results.

OP
OP
Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to me Liferock is a pretty solid choice. I may add a couple smaller pieces of live rock from my LFS if its beneficial with coraline and such.

Thank you all for your input!

OP
OP
Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah there dosnt seem to be much out there about it as I searched and found not to much about it. But I ended up using 120lbs of it in my new 90 gallon set up, I picked up all 4 different kinds of it.
There's a few things I don't like about it but overall I'm happy.
I set it all up 2 weeks weeks ago and it's been at an ammonia spike since last Thursday when I added some Dr Tims ammonia.
First 3 pictures lights are off, last 2 the lights are on.
IMG_4834.PNG
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_4885.JPG

That's really sharp. I love your setup. I took a look at your post about Caribsea Liferock earlier.

Super sharp.

OP
OP
Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what liferock brings in is the painted on nitrifiers. its a quicker cycling rock, upon rehydration, critical surface areas will take on biofilm and resulting nitrifying colonies after reamination, faster than dry rock sitting in water would take on in the same time frame.

it is not offering assorted benthic creatures and fanworms and pods, imo what we stock along with that rock is what determines benthic loading and that's why it ranges so much tank to tank. anything is better than stark white rocks, these look great.

it would take a man or a lady at least ten yrs to paint white rock that solid w real coralline, looks about the same close nff
I'm considering adding some live rock from my LFS to hopefully gain some pods and other creatures. Or I may just seed the tank with some assorted pods.

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter what rock you choose i would pick up some ammonia from ace hardware that contains nothing but ammonia and some sort of bacteria product and kick start the cycle off with that. I have cycled using this method for all the freshwater tanks i have done it the past and for the reef i have now. I feel it cuts down the cycleing time.

OP
OP
Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter what rock you choose i would pick up some ammonia from ace hardware that contains nothing but ammonia and some sort of bacteria product and kick start the cycle off with that. I have cycled using this method for all the freshwater tanks i have done it the past and for the reef i have now. I feel it cuts down the cycleing time.
Absolutely! I think I saw that on your build thread - and I'm completely sold on ammonia to kick start everything.

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering adding some live rock from my LFS to hopefully gain some pods and other creatures. Or I may just seed the tank with some assorted pods.

I would add a healthy piece of live rock. I added one piece and that is where most of the first life in my tank came from. You could also grab a cup of live sand or a piece of marine pure from someone you know. Both my sand and the marine pure balls in my sump are full of pods. I see you are in salem, are you on the local forum for the northwest, not sure if i can post a link here on R2R im sure i could pm you a link. Im sure there are others from Salem that would be willing to give you a piece of live rock or sand from one of their tanks.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back