Nov 2023 POTM: Frag picture

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6957.jpeg

Holy Grails. I’ve had them since August and started with a single head and a tiny baby. Been growing quick. I target feed them every other day. Taken on my iPhone.

drolmaeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Samsung S21+ with an Orphek filter. No post processing other than a "fix lighting" offer from my device. I took this pic in early September, six days after buying this little goni frag. Ultimately I want to have a beautiful slice of reef, but in the beginning I guess it's truly a coral fragment, on a pristine little frag plug, on a very unnatural frag tray. This little coral has moved down to the sand, living its best life (I hope). I wonder what it will look like in a year or two?
20230910_160553.jpg

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this frag for over a year… While I love the coral I have yet to find the perfect visual spot for it. So while I try to stick it in the sand on a sand stand, my Lyre tail Damsel hates it. Constantly knocking it over. The potato chip coral doesn’t seem to mind and is heavily encrusted.
Just a commentary on not everything is perfect and other things get prioritized.
“Reefing’s dirty little secret” oh the horror!
Shot and edited on a iPhone with an orange filter.
IMG_1452.jpeg

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PB230023.jpg
Acropora with coloration similar to Pearlberry. This is a frag from what was originally a maricultured colony. I have grown it out in many different settings and it always looks different. I shot this today with my D90 and tweaked a bit in Lightroom.

Last edited:

Turtle_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Reef2Reef POTM Contest - Photo of the Month

Sponsored by
Avast Marine!

This month's subject - Frag Picture

Deadline to Enter: 30th of Nov 2023 at 11:59 pm (EST)

Looking forward to great shots of your "Frag" ! Remember, the photo has to have been taken by you, and the subject has to be in your aquarium.
No watermarks or captions are allowed in the pictures and pictures with watermarks will be disqualified.
A bit of info around your shot, Frag ID, how long you had it, placement ...

This is a photo contest after all and we're looking for the best photograph. Yes, you can use a post-editing product to better your pictures. In fact, we encourage it.
Few tips:
using a macro lense or shooting close to get good magnification
utilizing extension tubes if it helps.
Tripod or securing your camera to get sharper shots
experiment with front shots or top down to get different perspectives

As always refer to the multiple photography articles or post any questions you might have on the photography forum for better support. Maybe also post a few pictures for suggestions and critique to improve your shots wile preparing for this months contest as well.

Prize: POTM Winner Banner, one year free Premium Membership and an Avast Marine Porthole courtesy of Avast Marine. Details below. (Note: Winners located outside the United States will be responsible for applicable shipping costs)

How To Enter:
Entering is easy, just a few simple guidelines to follow:

• Enter ONE photo, taken by you of the subject for the month before the deadline
  • If you enter a second photo, it will be deleted so choose wisely before posting your entry
  • Multiple entries, off subject photos, or broken image links will be disqualified
  • Entries must be submitted before the deadline
  • Photo must be taken by you and in your tank
  • Pictures with watermarks will be disqualified
  • You must have an avatar uploaded when you enter
  • Prior winner (within the last 6 months) are welcome to enter, but not eligible for the prizes
  • In order to qualify to win the Avast Marine Porthole you must also like the Avast Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/avast.marine/
Winner Selection:
The mod team will select up to 15 finalists and a poll will be created and posted in the Reef Discussion Forum. The Grand Prize Winner will be determined by Reef2Reef member voting. To be eligible to vote, you must have been a member for 30 days and have 25 meaningful posts. Votes by members not meeting this criteria will be disregarded in the final count. In the case of a tie, the mod team will assist in choosing the winner. Rules, deadlines and terms are subject to change, without notice, at any time. The winner will be posted and tagged in the voting poll and will have 48 hours to claim the prize.

As this is a photography competition, and the goal is to recognize the highest quality picture. So take your time, do your post shot editing, and submit your best image.

The Prize:

Capture.JPG
20231124_203938.jpg

Pandora and flaming fireball zoanathids

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 74 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 57 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back