NP Bacto Balance in newly cycled tank?

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on incorporating NP Bacto Balance in my new system that has just completed cycling using turbo start and nitro cycle. Ammonia and Nitrites are zero, NO3 is 37ppm, and PO4 is .11ppm.

I added 11ml of Seachem Prime thinking it would get NO3 down but now I’m not sure that will happen after reading up on it again. It says Prime detoxifies NO3, doesn’t remove it. Unless lowering NO3 comes from it being removed by the skimmer.

At any rate, I’m wondering if I should go ahead and start NP Bacto Balance, and would I see a reduction in NO3. Of course I could do a water change to bring that down but I’d also like to see what the effects of this product are.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on incorporating NP Bacto Balance in my new system that has just completed cycling using turbo start and nitro cycle. Ammonia and Nitrites are zero, NO3 is 37ppm, and PO4 is .11ppm.

I added 11ml of Seachem Prime thinking it would get NO3 down but now I’m not sure that will happen after reading up on it again. It says Prime detoxifies NO3, doesn’t remove it. Unless lowering NO3 comes from it being removed by the skimmer.

At any rate, I’m wondering if I should go ahead and start NP Bacto Balance, and would I see a reduction in NO3. Of course I could do a water change to bring that down but I’d also like to see what the effects of this product are.
The NO3 reducing effects may be a bogus claim, detoxifying is also a mystical beast. Unless you’ve added a load of ammonia, I doubt nitrate is actually nearly 40, anyway.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither of those will reduce nitrate.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think NP Bacto Balance is used to maintain your nutrient levels. It might lower nitrates, but I never used it, so I can‘t say. There are nutrients in NP Bacto.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have an answer to the question? I’d love to hear your thoughts
If you start dosing stuff in a new tank like that you are opening the door for a variety of problems. Your tank is unstable for quite a few months early on and bacto balance isn't going to change that part of the new tank evolution.

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you start dosing stuff in a new tank like that you are opening the door for a variety of problems. Your tank is unstable for quite a few months early on and bacto balance isn't going to change that part of the new tank evolution.
I have another system that’s been running a year. I’m trying to stabilize the new system so I can make the transfer, although it will take me a couple of months before I’ll be ready for corals. Even then it will be iffy

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SunnyX doses NP Bacto Balance.

Sonny, do you recommend dosing it to a new tank? When did you start dosing your Bacto Balance?

Sonny has had multiple Tank Of The Month awards/features. He believes bacteria/carbon dosing is the reason for his success. :)

Ps. I’m not telling anyone to dose anything. I just want to bring the floor to someone with experience with using this product. :)

radfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my understanding. It’s carbon dosing but with added nutrients to prevent them from going to zero
But it doesn’t... if you follow even half the recommended dose it will still zero out nitrate and phosphate. You have to test, add, wait two days, repeat. But, in your case there is insufficient bacteria to be effective. Water change for the first six months, then consider using Bacto Balance or other carbon source, and only after testing.

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SunnyX doses NP Bacto Balance.

Sonny, do you recommend dosing it to a new tank? When did you start dosing your Bacto Balance?

Sonny has had multiple Tank Of The Month awards/features. He believes bacteria/carbon dosing is the reason for his success. :)

Ps. I’m not telling anyone to dose anything. I just want to bring the floor to someone with experience with using this product. :)
Yes, his method is what I’m following although I haven’t started coral snow in my new tank since nothing is in it yet. Well, except for the zeolite reactor. I don’t have one of those yet, but not sure if I will

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it doesn’t... if you follow even half the recommended dose it will still zero out nitrate and phosphate. You have to test, add, wait two days, repeat. But, in your case there is insufficient bacteria to be effective. Water change for the first six months, then consider using Bacto Balance or other carbon source, and only after testing.
Interesting. So would you say the bacteria are insufficient in number or maturity?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you really add 10ppm ammonia? That’s how much it takes to make 37ppm nitrate, you ain’t gotta listen obviously.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back