NP-Bacto-Balance Questions

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NP-Bacto-Balance essentially supplies nutrients to the corals at the lowest levels right? So, would these levels show in a test kit? Can you explain the process of dialing in my dosage for this product? I'm starting at 0.40 mL for my (40 gallon DT, 20 gallon sump) tank.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacto balance is a carbon source like nopox or vodka. It’s used to bring down nutrients in a tank and that’s pretty much how you adjust your dose! Start testing no3 and po4 daily or every other day or so till you get the numbers you want from x amount of product.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nitrogen appears to not show up in testing. It did help me keep nitrates detectable when I used to have issues keeping nitrates above 0. I think this is due to it supplying a nitrogen source so my tank wasn't so incredibly nitrogen starved that it used every last no3 available.

For my dosage, I went with the recommended 1year max ammount.

To my knowledge, you dose this based on phosphate levels and ignore nitrogen. At least as far as when switching between Plus NP, bacto balance, and elimi NP.

I do dose ammonium chloride when my nitrates get down to 1. usually until I am in the phosphate range to switch back from Elimi NP to bacto balance my ammonia dosing gets cut in half.

Using the bacto balance line, my nitrates were frequently not detectable the first few months, and while I didn't notice an issue allowong my nitrates to sit at 0, I got nervous i would end up dealing with dinos again and went back to making the effort to keep it up.

Was dosing neo nitro at 15ml per day to keep NO3 above 0, after using plus NP to raise my phosphate, i only needed 5ml to detect nitrates. The amount of ammonium I dose now is the equivalent to 2ml neo nitro in NO3, so while I am still bottoming out nitrates using the product, my system is clearly less nitrogen starved.

I dose 1/2 a pump into my 80G total water volume system, that is a year old.

OP
OP
TheSheff

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacto balance is a carbon source like nopox or vodka. It’s used to bring down nutrients in a tank and that’s pretty much how you adjust your dose! Start testing no3 and po4 daily or every other day or so till you get the numbers you want from x amount of product.
ahhhh. So there should be a certain dosage that won't necessarily decrease my nutrients. Similar to how I would determine the dosage of a normal calc,alk,mag product would?

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not exactly like those products, and does supply some amount of usable nitrogen, it's just not measurable as it is not ammonia nitrite or nitrate.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahhhh. So there should be a certain dosage that won't necessarily decrease my nutrients. Similar to how I would determine the dosage of a normal calc,alk,mag product would?
Elimi NP is for reduction, bacto is for maintain, plus is for addition.

You will just have to test and figure out where you are. It is recomended to switch to plus NP at less than .03 phosphate, or elimi NP at .08~.1 phosphage.

OP
OP
TheSheff

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elimi NP is for reduction, bacto is for maintain, plus is for addition.

You will just have to test and figure out where you are. It is recomended to switch to plus NP at less than .03 phosphate, or elimi NP at .08~.1 phosphage.
So I guess at that point the sole purpose of bacto balance would be to feed the corals right? Because you could theoretically just dial in either a dose of plus-np or elimi-np instead right?

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess at that point the sole purpose of bacto balance would be to feed the corals right? Because you could theoretically just dial in either a dose of plus-np or elimi-np instead right?
I would say primarily yes, but it definitely would have a reducing effect if you skim as there is noticeably thicker waste produced while dosing.

I think it might also have the secondary bennefit of helping to take the nutrients away from pest photosynthetics. And populate some surface area with more heterotrophic bacteira.

Edit: bacto balance specifically I mean, the other 2 it's more intended/profound affect on nutrient levels.

I do just switch between them interchangeably, i dose double for plus NP, but its been quite a while since I have had phosphate drop low enough to switch.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lou from Tropic Marin has some fabulous youtube videos on deep explanation of these 3 products. There will be a lot of negative post about this product line, but it truly works in my system exactly how Lou describes it.
This is a pretty good one, there is a longer version from Macna

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lou from Tropic Marin has some fabulous youtube videos on deep explanation of these 3 products. There will be a lot of negative post about this product line, but it truly works in my system exactly how Lou describes it.
This is a pretty good one, there is a longer version from Macna

Oooo I haven't seen this one.

Also, it clearly in my system made my coral growth and polyp extension increase dramatically, BUT its all anecdotal and while it's a magic product for me, may produce completely different results else where.

The logic they give on how it works, makes 100% sense to me and makes nutrient control fit together in a nice neat puzzle in my mind, which that alone might be the reason I see it as such a huge positive on my system, prejudices and biases and such.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be wrong but I was under the impression plus and elimni were to be used to get levels where desired then bacto balance to maintain. I may very well be wrong but it seems to me using one product to raise, another to lower, and a third to maintain is just marketing to get sales. I do dose bacto balance on 2 tank so I'm not a TM hater. I have never used plus or elimni.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be wrong but I was under the impression plus and elimni were to be used to get levels where desired then bacto balance to maintain. I may very well be wrong but it seems to me using one product to raise, another to lower, and a third to maintain is just marketing to get sales. I do dose bacto balance on 2 tank so I'm not a TM hater. I have never used plus or elimni.
Per Lou, you are spot on 100% correct here in your impression.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nitrogen appears to not show up in testing. It did help me keep nitrates detectable when I used to have issues keeping nitrates above 0. I think this is due to it supplying a nitrogen source so my tank wasn't so incredibly nitrogen starved that it used every last no3 available.

For my dosage, I went with the recommended 1year max ammount.

To my knowledge, you dose this based on phosphate levels and ignore nitrogen. At least as far as when switching between Plus NP, bacto balance, and elimi NP.

I do dose ammonium chloride when my nitrates get down to 1. usually until I am in the phosphate range to switch back from Elimi NP to bacto balance my ammonia dosing gets cut in half.

Using the bacto balance line, my nitrates were frequently not detectable the first few months, and while I didn't notice an issue allowong my nitrates to sit at 0, I got nervous i would end up dealing with dinos again and went back to making the effort to keep it up.

Was dosing neo nitro at 15ml per day to keep NO3 above 0, after using plus NP to raise my phosphate, i only needed 5ml to detect nitrates. The amount of ammonium I dose now is the equivalent to 2ml neo nitro in NO3, so while I am still bottoming out nitrates using the product, my system is clearly less nitrogen starved.

I dose 1/2 a pump into my 80G total water volume system, that is a year old.
A newbie to Bacto balance here. I saw this post and wanted to put my question here, as you seem to have specific knowledge. I used Elimi NP to gets things where they need to be, and want to start with the Bacto balance today. SO my question is, do I leave my skimmer, filtration, and UV on ? Or turn them off? If off, for how long? I can not seem to find this info on the internet. Not even at Tropic Marin. Thank you in advance for any help.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking as just a hobbyist, everything I say is just my opinion.

On UV: UV may impact the bacteria population that consumes the carbon, but I've you have been running it with elimi NP, I would assume its just fine, and would personally not stop UV while dosing bacto balance.

On skimmer: the nutrient export method of carbon dosing partially relies on the skimmer, pulling out bacteria and microbes and sludge they excrete from feeding on the carbon dosing product. The skimmer itself seems completely unaffected with dosing, but probably will bubble down some immediately when adding, but I haven't noticed that myself.

TLDR, to my knowledge its standard practice to leave them on, especially the skimmer. I can see why reducing or turning off UV might be a benefit when starting carbon dosing all together to give bacteria a chance to flourish, but probably a negligible impact, and more than likely 0 impact if youve already been dosing Elimi NP, while running UV.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking as just a hobbyist, everything I say is just my opinion.

On UV: UV may impact the bacteria population that consumes the carbon, but I've you have been running it with elimi NP, I would assume its just fine, and would personally not stop UV while dosing bacto balance.

On skimmer: the nutrient export method of carbon dosing partially relies on the skimmer, pulling out bacteria and microbes and sludge they excrete from feeding on the carbon dosing product. The skimmer itself seems completely unaffected with dosing, but probably will bubble down some immediately when adding, but I haven't noticed that myself.

TLDR, to my knowledge its standard practice to leave them on, especially the skimmer. I can see why reducing or turning off UV might be a benefit when starting carbon dosing all together to give bacteria a chance to flourish, but probably a negligible impact, and more than likely 0 impact if youve already been dosing Elimi NP, while running UV.
Thank you for the reply. Pretty much what I was thinking but was not sure, and want to get it right.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back