NPS: Red Finger Gorgonians (are they expert level only?)

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltines,

I couldn't find an NPS section so I'm posting in the newbie section. So after four months of my tank (5g) running smoothly I'm starting to develop my coral list. I was given great advice in a previous post of mine and one of the corals mentioned are gorgonians (photosynthetic). While browsing different types of gonis I came across some beautiful Red Finger/Yellow Finger gonis (also listed as Red/Yellow Sea Rods) which of course are non-photosynthetic. Now I know what NPS stands for. Haha. I can't find much info on NPS corals in general let alone anything related to a specific species here on R2R and not much on the web other than they're for experts although one of the places I saw them listed said they're easy to care for.

So for you folks that have these what makes them difficult? Is there something about them specifically such as being picky eaters or is it because in a mixed reef their food needs can cause nitrates/phosphates to spike which isn't good for other corals? If I kept just these in my 5g would they be fine or should I forget these for now? They are beautiful.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have them, but it indicates they're not photosynthetic and they need low level lighting, strong water flow and regular feeding of micro-plankton.
Thanks. Yes, they're NPS (non-photosynthetic). I came across them while looking at the photosynthetic gonis. I'm trying to understand why they are considered expert level (because I'm not). I'm trying to find out if there is something specific to NPS corals that makes them expert or whether it's because their feeding needs aren't compatible with a mixed reef. It sounds like they need a fair bit of food which I assume could cause nitrates and phosphates to spike so I'm wondering if they become easy in a dedicated tank. :)

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? Do you know why? I can't find any info on why they're actually difficult. I assumed it was because their needs didn't jive with the needs of a mostly photosynthetic tank. They're so beautiful. I would give up my plan of having a mixed reef to dedicate my tank to these but don't want to waste my money or have them die on me which is worse than wasting my money.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? Do you know why? I can't find any info on why they're actually difficult. I assumed it was because their needs didn't jive with the needs of a mostly photosynthetic tank. They're so beautiful. I would give up my plan of having a mixed reef to dedicate my tank to these but don't want to waste my money or have them die on me which is worse than wasting my money.
The reality is most NPS are not known on what they actually feed on, it’s though that they feed on bacteria that is almost if not impossible to replicate in home aquaria

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reality is most NPS are not known on what they actually feed on, it’s though that they feed on bacteria that is almost if not impossible to replicate in home aquaria
Aaah. OK, well that would definitely be "expert" and if doable then probably in a much more mature tank than mine.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an Orange tree NPS gorg for about 7 or 8 months till it gradually withered away unfortunately. I simply couldn't keep up with the feeding requirements, without potentially fouling the tank. Definitely considering a photosynthetic variety of gorgonian in the future though....

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an Orange tree NPS gorg for about 7 or 8 months till it gradually withered away unfortunately. I simply couldn't keep up with the feeding requirements, without potentially fouling the tank. Definitely considering a photosynthetic variety of gorgonian in the future though....
Thanks for this! I was wondering whether it was because of the amount of food they need. I feed my fish a lot but maybe it still wouldn't be enough for these guys. Haha. I found some nice photosynthetic ones but they don't have the colour that these guys do! Go figure! Haha.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help but I agree they are stunningly beautiful! I’ll tag @najer for you because he has had success keeping them. He’s in England so he may not reply right away. I would consider him an expert.
Thanks so much!! It will be great to hear from someone who has success with them to learn what the secret sauce is! LOL I really want to try these corals but only if I can keep them successfully even if it means a dedicated tank! :)

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have over a dozen gorgonians, both photosynthetic and NPS. I have found both the red and yellow gorgs to be pretty difficult to keep long term. They have to be fed several times a day. You have to experiment with several sizes of food. When a polyp catches a food particle, it will close. They require a mild current. It also helps that they be kept in a shaded area. Too much light causes algae to grow on them, smothering them. Good luck.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have over a dozen gorgonians, both photosynthetic and NPS. I have found both the red and yellow gorgs to be pretty difficult to keep long term. They have to be fed several times a day. You have to experiment with several sizes of food. When a polyp catches a food particle, it will close. They require a mild current. It also helps that they be kept in a shaded area. Too much light causes algae to grow on them, smothering them. Good luck.
Ok, requires pics lol....and in your opinion which is the easiest to keep... I would like to get a photosynthetic variety.

And agreed I couldn't seem to keep the gradual algae buildup off of mine.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much! I have fallen in love with both types so I appreciate your input. As @CanuckReefer said... We need to see pics of your tank(s). :) I might start with a photosynthetic type first but the NPS types have really grabbed me! :)

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak to the nps varieties, but the grube's gorgonian is photosynthetic and grows like a weed. Fun coral. A little different!
Thanks for this! That one was mentioned in another one of my threads when I asked about corals for my 5g. I had not even seen gorgs before. Thanks for reminding me about this one! It's on my list now. I think my tank is going to be a gorg themed tank now that I have seen the different types! :)

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this! That one was mentioned in another one of my threads when I asked about corals for my 5g. I had not even seen gorgs before. Thanks for reminding me about this one! It's on my list now. I think my tank is going to be a gorg themed tank now that I have seen the different types! :)
This is really a great beginner coral. Do you live in an area with a local reef club? If so, I suggest that you post a request for an affordable frag of it. It grows so fast that someone local would probably just give it to you for free.

Last edited:

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much! I have fallen in love with both types so I appreciate your input. As @CanuckReefer said... We need to see pics of your tank(s). :) I might start with a photosynthetic type first but the NPS types have really grabbed me!
Thanks so much! I have fallen in love with both types so I appreciate your input. As @CanuckReefer said... We need to see pics of your tank(s). :) I might start with a photosynthetic type first but the NPS types have really grabbed me! :)
Here you go.
IMG_1287.jpg

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, that is beautiful!! Thanks for posting! It kind of looks like an alien planet (not a typical type of tank). It's amazing to think they grow right here on our planet!

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really a great beginner coral. Do you live in an area with a local reef club? If so, I suggest that you post a request for an affordable frag of it. It grows so fast that someone local would probably just give it to you for free.
That's a good idea! Thanks! Yep, I have a local reef club (or at least a site that connects local reefers).

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Other.

Back