NSW and heavy metals?

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’m wanting to purchase NSW from a vendor that specializes in providing it for aquarists. However, I’ve heard reports about heavy metals in NSW due to metal boat bilges being used to store and transport the water. The vendor only filters with micron filtration and UV sterilization, so if I used this water I’d want a relatively convenient way to minimize the risk. Is there a particular granular media or resin I could/should use to remove harmful heavy metals? I would also imagine if effective, it would also remove trace elements?

Or, is the risk of excessive heavy metals relatively low?

I’m asking because my choices for NSW mix are somewhat limited in my country, and I’ve had really good experience with NSW when I lived elsewhere, so I was hoping to use this.

Thank you!

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way to get your hands on a small volume of water from them and conduct an ICP test or two to see if there's even an issue to begin with? I'd worry that blindly treating for heavy metals would negate some of the benefits of using NSW as you'd eliminate some of the "good stuff" too. Doesn't seem worth it without identifying a problem to start with.

Metals leeching from the bilge/storage certainly seems plausible. But it's hard to say without knowing the company, the type of boat(s) they use (specifically, the material of the bilge), how they transfer the water from boat to storage, how they store the water onshore, etc.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all, that was my thought as well.

This is the company: https://www.bluelab.jp/products/detail.php?product_id=50

After a phone inquiry it appears that they don’t have control over what boats are used, so I suspect they are resellers. I’d have to ICP every batch before a water change to be safe, which would be impractical.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all, that was my thought as well.

This is the company: https://www.bluelab.jp/products/detail.php?product_id=50

After a phone inquiry it appears that they don’t have control over what boats are used, so I suspect they are resellers. I’d have to ICP every batch before a water change to be safe, which would be impractical.

Oh, didn't see you are in Japan. lol

I don't recall hearing anything about that product before.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back