nudi help

allurex22

Banned
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone here have reccomendations on how to get rid of nudis? i have had a large outbreak of them and i think i'm losing the battle. they keep poping up everywhere. anything eat them?

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is the zoa dips, you can try with lugols iodine.

there is a recipe Mucho put together over on the zoa forum on RC if you are familiar with it.

the dip will get rid of the nudi's, but not their eggs.

if you arent familiar with RC. maybe someone can post up a sticky thread with the information for the dip here so everyone can access it.

good luck! :)

vetteman

licking zoa's
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain..... I had to deal with them 2 years ago, Lost a lot of Zoa's...... I set up a seperate tank for them did fresh water dips everyother day and last but not least did a overdose of flatworm eXit. after about 3 months I was nudi free and returned everthing to the main tank Good Luck

Zeppelin

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a green wrasse that loves them. Only downside is that it will eat all the small snails too. But they definitely will take care of the nudis naturally, without using dips, etc.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater Lugol's dips could take care of it pretty effectively, but would likelybe best if done in a QT, which would require the removal of zoas from the display for a few weeks to do repeated dips to get the eggs, too. I've been lucky and never had to deal with any zoa predators except for a rabid Scribbled Rabbitfish that took out a bunch of colonies in short order after taking out teh razor caulerpa... I don't know the life cycle of zoa pests, so maybe someone can help out there. Now sps pests, I've just about had them all now. Well versed. The isolation method is what i used for the sps treatments to try to starve out the pest in the display while treating away from the display.

vetteman

licking zoa's
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped adding lugols, it seems to stress the zoas too much...... They end up shedding tissue even diluted. I do add lugols to the QT tank at the prescribed dosage but not until they have had a chance to open......

OP
OP
A

allurex22

Banned
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i have heard of the flatworm, and i am going to try it. i have used it before for flatworms and had great sucess with it. i would dip everything and i have heard of the lugol dip as well as used it before. but i have lost some polys from time to time. so i don't want to get into that again also i know it's not effective on eggs, and i don't have a quarranteen tank with a light. :( also i have like 100 zoos and all of my rock 100lbs worth is coverd also so i have to dip EVERYTHING and i'm afraid of going through a nitrite spike.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few wrasses that will eat the nudis.....Some where on RC there was a discussion a long time ago about it.....Search don't work for me though.....Maybe try looking it up on wetwebmedia.com

Zeppelin

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Azurel said:
There are a few wrasses that will eat the nudis.....Some where on RC there was a discussion a long time ago about it.....Search don't work for me though.....Maybe try looking it up on wetwebmedia.com

The one that does the trick is the Sea Grass Wrasse ( Novaculichthys Macrolepidotus ).

Nomac_u0.jpg

Here's Mucho Reef's thread on RC from awhile ago:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=533167&highlight=wrasse+zoo+nudis+monti

organism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yellow coris wrasses also work pretty well, although I've never tried a sea green wrasse so I can't really compare the two fairly

da6d2003

Definately OCD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(edit) Nevermind. Most of my questions were answered by reading the above post.

coris and seagrass wrasse.

What will these guys do to the landscaping?

What inverts will they eat?

Zeppelin

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
da6d2003 said:
(edit) Nevermind. Most of my questions were answered by reading the above post.

coris and seagrass wrasse.

What will these guys do to the landscaping?

What inverts will they eat?

My wrasses don't bother the landscaping much. They do however eat all the small snails, etc.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 160 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 127 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 55 15.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back