Nursing Goniopora Back to Health

Nate Barber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 2 weeks ago I obtained a basically dead Goni frag (not more than little green dots in the skeleton) that had died off when the tank's nitrates skyrocketed (at least 100ppm, if I'm not mistaken).

Well, I took the little guy and put him in the corner of my 20G where the flow was moderate due to the HOB filter and light was low. I've been feeding him just small bits of coral frenzy when I target feed a mysis/frenzy mix for my other LPS.

Well I'll be danged if the little dude isn't growing back already. The picture attached is him as of this morning sticking out trying to catch whatever microfauna and light he can.

Needless to say I'm rather proud of myself for being able to bring such a notoriously "iffy" coral back even this far in such a short period.

If you guys want, I'll continue to post updates as he comes back (as well as take advice from anyone who has managed to nurse a coral back to health successfully)

IMG_20200508_112504.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

great job, keep us updated. They are finicky. I cannot tell, is the frag a flat or golf ball type? I have found flat frags a little more hearty

OP
OP
Nate Barber

Nate Barber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: new polyps have started to sprout and stay extended consistently!

(It's been a struggle keeping the frag upright when my pistol shrimp wonders at night, though)

IMG_20200519_161041.jpg

Back